Shooting my first wedding soon, need some advice!

Carny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me start off by saying that I told the couple (my BIL and his fiancee) several times that they should hire a real wedding photographer. Unfortunately they are young and funds are limited. One they talked to said they couldn't do indoor photos. :( I did their engagement photos and they really liked them which is part of the problem. I explained that there are no "do-overs" if I screw up. So, with that out of the way on to the questions.

Here is my current gear list:
Canon 5Dc
70-200 F4 L
85 1.8
50 1.4
50 macro
35 2
2 430ex ii flashes with yongnuo (sp?) radio poppers
some studio strobes, not sure if I should mess with those

Since they are family it won't be a problem going to rehearsal and checking out the church ahead of time. I'm planning on renting a 5D mk III and a 24-70. I'll take my 5D as a backup.

1. I think the rental period is 3 or 4 days. Will that be enough time to familiarize myself with the 5d3?

2. Will my 70-200 F4 be adequate since the 5d3 is supposed to be great in low light? Would it be worth renting the 2.8?

3. I'll take the other lenses to have just in case, but can you think of any particular situation in which I would use one of my primes rather than the L zooms?

4. I've seen pics of the church, and it looks the sanctuary has high ceilings (drop ceiling) so I may be able to bounce my flash. Should I mess with the studio lights for the formals? There will only be one groomsman and bridesmaid so the wedding party itself won't be large.

5. Is there anything else I will need that isn't on the list?

I plan on having a checklist to make sure I get all the shots.

I recently attended a wedding that was at a photography studio that had a huge seamless setup. The photographer set up and took photos of anyone that wanted one, and then the bride sent the guests copies with their Christmas cards. I like the idea, and think it would be neat to send the guests their photos along with their thank you cards. (Could be an extra income for the pros if you offered prints I to guests, but I could see where that would be a touchy subject.) Would that take too much time away from getting shots of the reception?

That's all I can think of now. Thanks in advance!

Hi. I think you have got a pretty good setup so far. As far as renting the Mark 3, it has ALOT of custom buttons so be prepared to spend some time reading a bit. I am sure if you had it a few days ahead of time you should be fine though. You can bump the ISO way up on that sucker and get great results. So don't be afraid of the noise. I think you should be fine with your 70-200 4.0 for the ceremony. I wouldn't rent the 2.8. I don't think you need it if you have the 4.0 and are renting the Mark iii. I own them both, and you should be fine with just the 4.0. I generally use my 70-200 for the ceremony unless it is really a tight quarters then I would use my 24-70 2.8. Your 50 1.4 is a great reception lens because it can handle really low light and it is a fast lens. I throw that on alot. I am a heavy prime shooter for the bride and groom shots. Your 85 1.8 would be nice for b/g shots. I think you are on the right track here. Good luck.

Pgriz, I've either read those or have them bookmarked to read later.

Would it be worth it to drag the studio lights along?

Robin - are you saying I don't even need to rent the 24-70? The 35 I have is the F2 and is a bit slow on the focus compared to some.

You dont have to learn the 5diii off to much to get its benefit. If you use the centre point and recompose (much like a lot would use the 5dc) it should still focus very fast and still give the benefit of more res and higher noise control. Obviously there is more possabilities to that camera but keep it simple

I was planning on using the 5d3 like I use mine now to keep it familiar, as you suggest jaomul. There may be a better way to do it on the 5d3 but I don't want to risk trying something new, especially if I may be switching cameras.

Robin - I saw on another board you are getting the new 24-70. I think you are trying to sabotage me by talking me out of it so you can have it to yourself and be one (very small) step closer to total photodomination.

Carny said:
Pgriz, I've either read those or have them bookmarked to read later.

Would it be worth it to drag the studio lights along?

Robin - are you saying I don't even need to rent the 24-70? The 35 I have is the F2 and is a bit slow on the focus compared to some.

Rent the 35/1.4L and the sigma 85/1.4. Great combo that I use on 5Ds. I don't advise using the 35/2.

Tyler - what about the 24-70? Don't bother with it?

I'll have to read up on the sigma. Is it worth renting even though I have the canon 1.8?

Carny said:
Tyler - what about the 24-70? Don't bother with it?

I'll have to read up on the sigma. Is it worth renting even though I have the canon 1.8?

Oh, if you already have the Canon then don't worry about it. That'll do you.

I'm partial to prime lenses for their aesthetic qualities. I have zero interest (personally) in a 24-70 as I find the focal length to be boring at f/2.8. It's convenient yes, but I've never seen a wedding image that wowed me with a 24-70/2.8. I will probably get flack for saying so, as there are some people that are upset that I have an opinion like that. Yes, it's happened before.

I would agree with Tyler, ever since he turned me on to prime lenses on a good body, for me..nothing beats it. fast mid zooms are just a convenience at that point, but you want quality not convenience. Use the good primes and zoom with your feet.

Run away fast !!! Don't do weddings for family.. :er: It can get ugly over the long run.

I'd rather do it than see them pay someone $500 or more and end up with worse photos than I'll do for free. I'm not sure how it could get 'ugly' since I've told them up front and they are well aware that I'm not a wedding photographer.

I'm a bit nervous to use only primes. I don't want to miss anything and don't want to be moving all around trying to get the shot and causing a disruption. Also, I don't think they would ever notice any slight improvements in quality. Am I missing anything?

^^ I'm also not a fan of the 24-70. The 24-70 is convenience in some situation like I just had to use it to shoot a Tea Ceremony where spaces are tight inside a living room filled with people.

Rent the 35mm 1.4L and put it on the 5D, also consider the 135mm f/2L since you already have the 85mm. It really depends on the church and if you are allow the freedom to walk around. Some church don't let you go pass a certain line so the extra reach might be helpful.

Bring a friend to the church, see what time does the Ceremony end and the time you take pictures of the bridal party. Scout location and use your friend as a test subject to see which area have good lighting and background to shoot at so one the day of the wedding you know exactly where to go instead of trying to find a place to take picture. Do the same at the reception venue. Where are they getting ready at? Make sure to check it out to know ahead where you want to hang the dress, ring shots, where you want the bride to sit to get the best lighting for morning prep. Ask them to clear the area so it won't be so messy and clutter with things as it's better to just snap the photo instead of dodging and avoiding things in the background.

Do you have a double strap to carry two body at the same time? It'll be a life saver if you have one so you can just walk around with 2 body at the same time especially if you're shooting with prime.

It never hurt to be more prepared.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back