Shooting my first wedding soon

Diddy2theJJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a little nervous and at the same time excited about my first wedding. I at least get to ease into it a little bit with shooting only a reception and some formals for my first job. My first complete wedding is in August. I'm completely comfortable with the reception and even the ceremony for the most part, but what I get nervous about is the formals with the bride, groom etc as well as the pre-formals outside with more fun and casual poses.

I've done some engagements and portraits, but i haven't done much with larger groups. I've downloaded a list of photos (groom with groomsman, best man etc.) so i think that should help anyway.

Anything else I could do to better prepare for this? Maybe just look at some other poses online for examples? I really want to do a good job with this so any advice would be very much appreciated.

cool down
your equipment very good
wish you good luck
and we wait to see the photos

I just shot my first wedding a few months ago - I was VERY nervous and I had a lot of disadvantages. I will list these for you to go over and give you sumpin to think about:

The location of the wedding was too far away for me to drive there before the wedding and check the place out - if you can go to where your shooting to make a list of portrait locations (windows are great but know the orientation of the building so you'll know whether or not sun will be lighting that window well or not).

Meet the bride and groom before the wedding so they are comfortable with you.

Bring a checklist of shots (I was in the middle of moving - literally I stopped moving furniture to shower and drive to the wedding. I didnt think to print a checklist before packing the printer, lol.)

Know everyone's name in the wedding party so you can organize the group shots beforehand.

I forced myself NOT to bring a cheat sheet of thumbnail portraits as I did not want this to make me appear unprofessional, but this is your gig and your call. I found it VERY easy to remember all my poses and beleive me when I say im a forgetful person.

Consider renting camera equipment - I wish I had done this and passed the cost off to the customer as I had a hard time with lighting at this event. I was also using consumer level lenses (I still loved my shots but I sometimes wonder how much better they would have looked had I used professional lenses with a professional body).

If you can keep it reportage before the ceremony - the couple that hired me couldn't be talked out of wanting their portraits done before the ceremony and they looked nervous in some of their portraits - luckily I was able to steal them for 10 minutes after the ceremony AWAY from an audience (which will make them more nervous) and I got my best portraits in that 10 minutes.

In the rush of things DONT SAY TO YOURSELF "I CAN JUST FIX THAT IN PHOTOSHOP". I know never to do that again cause many of my images were underexposed and I spend alot of time on PS.

I think thats about it - I wish you the best of luck

The first few weddings truly ARE nerve wracking.

If you have time, I'd suggest going to a neighboring town (where you aren't likely to be competing with the local shooters) and contact the various photographers offering your services - free - as an assistant or a second shooter for a couple weddings just to get your feet wet.

Most reactions

Back