Shooting my friends wedding without permission of main photographer?

Hey Donna,

I m a professional photographer, and while most of my business consists of photographing things other than weddings, I ve still shot a handful of them.

The photographer should have no problem with you being there, as long as they are secure in their ability. I'd introduce myself, say hello, tell them you are there to learn about wedding photography and that you're passionate about it (you've now made an industry contact).

Copyright wise you are fine, you can use the images you take.

Good luck and have fun!

Years ago, I did this at my sister's wedding, albeit in a much more casual fashion, with my p&s. During the formals, the pro eventually asked me to disable my flash because I was triggering his strobes, but he was otherwise totally cool. IIRC, he was shooting medium format b&w sheets as well as Polaroid backs...kinda cool.

I agree that depends on the pro and on the contract.

From my perspective as a professional wedding photographer for over 20 years, the main thing that would irritate me is if the 'friend' starts shooting my posed shots. Other than that, as long as they didn't get in my way, or start taking over, I'd allow them to shoot just like any other guest might.

I was shooting a wedding a few months back (as the amateur) where the bride and groom hired their own photographers. Long story short, grooms pro did not have a problem with me being their and actually encouraged me to take more shots. Now the brides pro did not want me their at all (at least with my camera). I feel like the pros should embrace a newcomer to the industry.

my .02

I was shooting a wedding a few months back (as the amateur) where the bride and groom hired their own photographers. Long story short, grooms pro did not have a problem with me being their and actually encouraged me to take more shots. Now the brides pro did not want me their at all (at least with my camera). I feel like the pros should embrace a newcomer to the industry.

my .02

As in any other industry. You'll have the people who welcome newcomers vs the people who try to hold down possible competition.

I'd say be as friendly as possible with the pro photog. If you're lucky, they'll be of the former group and not mind you shooting around them, if you're really lucky they'll give you some advice and show you some tricks of the trade.

Every wedding I've been to, has had plenty of P&Sers though so who cares? Unless you are really getting in the way, triggering flashes, taking focus from their camera to yours, etc...they should be cool.

just let the hired man do his shots and let him/her know after that you would like to get some photos so when he/she is done photoshoting you can jump in and get your shots. thats usually fine with them. they just don't want you hovering around them and flashing them while they are trying to do their job.

Most reactions

Back