Shooting on the beach with Canon 85mm F1.8 Usm ADVICES

manuel87roma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
Today I went to the beach and I was trying my new CANON 85mm f1.8 USM.

I’ve notice at first that I was getting really bright photos so then I was playing a bit and trying to use higher aperture between F18/22 with auto shutter speed which wasn’t bad, then I also tried to set auto aperture, shutter speed and ISO but still the colors weren’t the same as I was looking at for real.

Which setting would you suggest me to use for beach shooting with this lens??

Ps: do you think the 85mm F1.8 is better for close up portrait than whole body shot?

I appreciate your advices

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_5577.JPG

You'd need to use a fast shutter speed and small aperture (and low ISO). Maybe auto settings aren't getting you the best exposure (although these don't seem that much off).

Keep an eye too that the entire person is in the frame, or frame so you're not cutting people off at awkward places - try for just above an elbow, knee, etc. not right at the joint. In the first one I might have framed just above the bottom edge of the swim suit/shorts. Watch that feet/shoes are in the frame (second one). In the last one maybe frame above the knee.

Cool reflection in the sunglasses too. You seem to have caught a good moment. Being aware of the timing can be helpful. Try to wait til passersby move on out of the frame and watch for anyone else getting ready to walk into the scene (which can be challenging if a lot of people are there).

Depends on how close you are to subjects which length lens would work best.

If you are a Left eye shooter, when looking through the viewfinder keep both eyes open, then if someone walks in view you will see them quicker, and as Sharon says keep the ISO low.

Most reactions

Back