Shooting outdoor kids party

truephotoga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.truephotoga.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all ! I am shooting my friend's son first birthday party this weekend. This will be outdoors at a park. I have a Canon T3i with the kit lens (18-55mm). Any advice on camera settings ? Should I just keep the camera on auto mode ? Should I look into getting any additional equipment for the shoot? Thanks!

If you are going on auto you might as well use shutter priority since kids, even little ones, can move pretty fast. I suggest you use this as an excuse to go yourself a flash. A flash is just as useful outdoors on a sunny day as it is indoors.

I would also recommend a flash.

Thirding a flash. You'll get much more balanced images (in regards to exposure) than you would using ambient lighting.

A flash outside with auto mode does not sound like a way to get a lot of great pictures back. If it's an overcast day I would forget about the flash, not a lot of 1 year olds wear hats and that would be almost the only reason to use it on an overcast day. Since you asked about auto I would say shoot in P mode, I don't think the kids will be moving all that fast at 1, if they are the Tv mode Patrice mentioned would work great turn it until the number say 125-250. If it's a bright sunny day you could use a fill flash but I think you will ruin more photos than get good if you don't know how to adjust the flash for different distances, at a park some of the shots might have some distance to them so you're talking about an expensive flash to fill those distances. Personally I would just try to take as many pictures in the shade and the rest will just have harsh lighting, I'm assuming this is more for fun and not a paid shoot also.

Look at the thread date.

By the way, the advice about flash not needing to be used on an overcast day is less than informed.

I recently heard from Jeremy Cowart, if you're outdoors and want great skin tones set your Whitebalance to Shade

Look at the thread date.

By the way, the advice about flash not needing to be used on an overcast day is less than informed.

I've never needed one on a shady day, can't get any better than filtered/natural light through a cloud. But the thread is dead anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back