shooting pictures through glass windows

shoppercharlie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just returned from a trip, including bus rides, and nearly every picture had window reflections. I also have a glassed-in porch from which I take "critter" pictures and reflections are a challenge since opening a window scares my targets away.

How do you deal with the challenge of "shooting thru glass"?

Thanks,

Charlie

Panasonic FZ28 (SuperZoom)

Last edited:
I have read that a polarizer filter can help to remove the reflected light from glass. I have not had a chance to try yet myself, but it is advice that I have read time and time again

I doubt it works on a shaky bus, but other than that pushing the lens against the glass should be able to keep the reflections out. Never tried it, but what would reflect between the window pane and the lens right against it?

hmm I recall hearing about someone who used to have a big flat board attached to the end of his lens then he would place it (and the lens) right up to the glass to cut out reflections

A large rubber lens hood will work, I have used one much too large for my lens with a step ring in circumstances like this. Just press the hood against the glass, the lens itself doesn't need to touch, all your photos will be reflection free. A properly sized lens hood will work but you can't shoot at as much of an angle as with an oversized one.

Last edited:
Eh.. pressing the lens against the glass just gives you a straight on shot, what if that's not the image you want?

Circular Polarizer works for most reflections. You might still get a few if the surface is really reflective, but you can get rid of most. You will lose about a stop of exposure though. It also helps decrease reflections on other shiny surfaces, like cars and such.

A circular polarizer (CPOL) will work wonders for controlling reflections (if you want the effect or not). Glass, water, shiney surfaces.

Thanks to all. I haven't tried any of these from inside a vehicle as yet but HAVE tried all except the rubber hood (I have one somewhere in my "old" camera supplies.), shooting through my porch windows. Perhaps it's the "thermopane" factor; the filter removes very little, up-against the glass likewise leaves reflections around the outer edge and trying a rotating sun-flash deflector helps not at all. I will try the rubber item once I find it again. Guess I'll just have to break out a window now & then.

Thanks for trying,

Charlie

Most reactions

Back