shooting raw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, gee... I wonder...

I answered a simple question with how I work. I don't believe that I said the way I shoot is the only way, or the correct way, of that how anyone else shoots is wrong. I really don't care what people choose, if they want to shoot raw, that's great. I explanied why I shoot jpegs. I try to get it right in the camera everytime I shoot, don't you?

When I shot film, I had to get it right in the camera, it was expected by clients when they got the film back, the images were right, it wasn't an option to screw up. So I shoot digital with the same approach, do it right the first time. It is still expected by clients, and more so, it is for me to do it right.

Does it really matter to you that much that I know what I'm doing with a camera or how I shoot, or to answer the Op's question that I choose to shoot jpegs.
Are you feeling guilty or something? I don't recall pointing any fingers at you or throwing you up against a wall and demanding an explanation for why you do whatever you do...

Of course, if the shoe fits, feel free to wear it if you like. You DO have a tendency to let everyone know on frequent enough occasions how perfect you are when it comes to photography. Practically a god (like your photographer father before you), in that respect, from what I've read over time in your posts. You DO never need to shoot RAW because you ARE a professional who gets it right first time, every time, in the camera, as you've readily explained, unlike us mere mortals who are far, FAR beneath you.

And no, none of that matters to me at all - it's just an observation. While you are obviously at the center of your own universe and glow with the brightness of a million suns, you're not even in the same solar system with me in mine, so it doesn't matter to me what you do or how you do it - not one whit. In fact, from my POV, you're quite insignificant in the overall scheme of things, to be perfectly honest.

Have a great day!

Thanks once again you are correct with your observations. It seems that you have issues with someone working as a professional photographer and knows what they are doing with a camera. Is it some kind of envy complex you have. Most of the other people on this forum would look at my response as to why I don't shoot raw, and understand my reasons. You just seem to look at whatever I post as negative.

As far as my Dad goes, you have no idea how much he has influenced some of the best photojournalists in the world. Obviously you have little respect for professional photographers.

So when you are out taking pictures do you not try and get it right in the camera everytime, or do you just guess and use photoshop to fix it? You've been taking pictures long enough to understand the importance of getting it right in camera, or am I mistaken?

I answered a simple question with how I work. I don't believe that I said the way I shoot is the only way, or the correct way, of that how anyone else shoots is wrong. I really don't care what people choose, if they want to shoot raw, that's great. I explanied why I shoot jpegs. I try to get it right in the camera everytime I shoot, don't you?

When I shot film, I had to get it right in the camera, it was expected by clients when they got the film back, the images were right, it wasn't an option to screw up. So I shoot digital with the same approach, do it right the first time. It is still expected by clients, and more so, it is for me to do it right.

Does it really matter to you that much that I know what I'm doing with a camera or how I shoot, or to answer the Op's question that I choose to shoot jpegs.
Are you feeling guilty or something? I don't recall pointing any fingers at you or throwing you up against a wall and demanding an explanation for why you do whatever you do...

Of course, if the shoe fits, feel free to wear it if you like. You DO have a tendency to let everyone know on frequent enough occasions how perfect you are when it comes to photography. Practically a god (like your photographer father before you), in that respect, from what I've read over time in your posts. You DO never need to shoot RAW because you ARE a professional who gets it right first time, every time, in the camera, as you've readily explained, unlike us mere mortals who are far, FAR beneath you.

And no, none of that matters to me at all - it's just an observation. While you are obviously at the center of your own universe and glow with the brightness of a million suns, you're not even in the same solar system with me in mine, so it doesn't matter to me what you do or how you do it - not one whit. In fact, from my POV, you're quite insignificant in the overall scheme of things, to be perfectly honest.

Have a great day!

Thanks once again you are correct with your observations.
Yes, I know.

It seems that you have issues with someone working as a professional photographer and knows what they are doing with a camera.
LOL! No, I don't, but it's fun watching you projecting like that. :)

Is it some kind of envy complex you have.
Envy? You? Hahaha!! No, not at all! I'm quite happy and content to be myself, to have made a good living in my chosen career as a telecommunications engineer for over 30 years, and to have kept my photography as an enjoyable hobby. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way, so I've nothing to envy you FOR.

Most of the other people on this forum would look at my response as to why I don't shoot raw, and understand my reasons.
Maybe that's so, and maybe it's just your over-inflated ego talking. Either way, it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned, since you yourself are the one that stated your reasons and, at least in part, they ARE what I described - you're so good, such an expert, such a professional photographer, that you don't ever NEED RAW, so you don't shoot it. What part of that is untrue?

You just seem to look at whatever I post as negative.
No, you interpret it that way. I never said anything about it was negative. I don't think I even implied it. Hey, if you're so awesome that you never ever need a RAW file to fall back on, GREAT! I'm fine with that. No skin off my nose. No problem at all. Nothing negative about it, as far as I can tell. Is it a problem for you that I don't bow down before you in light of your stated awesomeness? Is that perceived by you as a slight? A jab? A poke? LOL!

As far as my Dad goes, you have no idea how much he has influenced some of the best photojournalists in the world.
And neither do I care.

Obviously you have little respect for professional photographers.
I have plenty of respect for professional photographers. I have very little respect for egomaniacs though.

So when you are out taking pictures do you not try and get it right in the camera everytime,
Yep, every time. I DO try. I don't always succeed, mere mortal that I am.

or do you just guess and use photoshop to fix it?
Nope, after 40+ years of shooting, even as a hobby, my guessing days are over. That still doesn't make me infallible, nor does it mean that even with the best settings I can get at the time of shooting that I can't squeeze even more out of it in post IF I have enough headroom to work with it.

Oh! And what's it to YOU how I do things anyway, since you've asked me the same thing even though I never challenged you on why you do what you do? What's it to you? What do you care if I get it right in the camera or fix every shot in Photoshop? How would it scrape any skin off your nose, either way?

You've been taking pictures long enough to understand the importance of getting it right in camera, or am I mistaken?
I'd say 40+ years is long enough to understand the importance of doing my best to get it as right as I can at the time of shooting. It's also long enough for me to understand the important role that negatives and darkrooms, and now RAW files and Photoshop, play in making images for final viewing.

There that was easy. Simple answers to a simple questions.
And SO MUCH was revealed, eh? LOL! What a character! :lol:

So, does this mean your ego is feeling better now and we can all get back to our regular, everyday, ho-hum lives again, at least until the next time you realize you're not being duly worshiped as the one, the only, the incredible, impeccable, undeniable, fantastic-beyond-words-describable, savant-like, chip off the old block son of an influential genius, professional photographer? :lmao:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/144313.html

It looks like the OP is no longer checking into this forum.

I'm really surprised that this thread was allowed to run into this territory.

This is the beginner's forum. I really don't see why anyone would bother posting a beginner's question in this forum with responses such as what was given in this thread.

It looks like the OP is no longer checking into this forum.
Good to know.

This is the beginner's forum.
Thanks for the update.

I really don't see why anyone would bother posting a beginner's question in this forum with responses such as what was given in this thread.
Well...

1. Most folks who get to the forum with a Google search won't read this thread, even if they see it, even if they have the same question.
2. That's especially true when this thread will drop from the top soon, then completely off the page soon enough, and then the chances of them seeing it are very slim indeed.

BTW, threads have a life of their own, often well beyond the OP's original question. Just sayin'...

PS. I like how you posted that code for turning a RAW into a BMP, then edited it out when it was obvious it wouldn't fit in with your new message about this thread and the answers in it being in the beginner forum. That was cool. :)

So, does this mean your ego is feeling better now and we can all get back to our regular, everyday, ho-hum lives again, at least until the next time you realize you're not being duly worshiped as the one, the only, the incredible, impeccable, undeniable, fantastic-beyond-words-describable, savant-like, chip off the old block son of an influential genius, professional photographer? :lmao:

I'll just print this off and hang it on my wall as a reminder. You can't be suggesting that anything you could say would bruise my delicate ego. Like anyone, it would take my peers to adjust my ego, but then I respect my peers opinions.

I'll just print this off and hang it on my wall as a reminder. You can't be suggesting that anything you could say would bruise my delicate ego. Like anyone, it would take my peers to adjust my ego, but then I respect my peers opinions.
Thank you! LOL! :thumbup::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back