Shooting Rock Shows??

[Dillz]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dylanwhite.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey I want to get into shooting rock concerts but I need some advice on how to get those gigs.

Start small and make a name for yourself. Find venues you like and want to shoot at then find bands you want to shoot and then find their management/marketing people and contact them asking for photo passes.

Bands like those one smaller labels (I like "punk" & hardcore at the moment) like Fat Wreckords are more likely to give you the time of day.

Also keep in mind that having a backer like some type of publication will give you assignments, but you might not be shooting the type of music you'd necessarily listen to or even like.

What kind of music do you want to shoot.

Hey I actually did right management for some bands and right now the band Eyes Set To Kill want me to shoot a show and some solo shots before hand. This is huge cuz this band is pretty big.

I just recently started shooting club acts. I started out with one band, but while practicing with the lighting on the opening act, ended up hooking up with that band later in the evening and exchanging cards and all. I now have 6 bands interested, with a showcase coming up next weekend with some big name record labels going to be in attendance.
I have done some shooting for free, just to get my name out there, and word of mouth took over. It might lead to something, just playing it by ear.
I think my only advice, is make sure you have the gear to shoot. The lighting can play havoc some nights and I was not expecting that in my first one or two outings.
But for me....starting small, and word of mouth taking over from there.

Good luck. Hope this venture works out. :D

[Dillz];1724119 said:
Hey I actually did right management for some bands and right now the band Eyes Set To Kill want me to shoot a show and some solo shots before hand. This is huge cuz this band is pretty big.

I like Eyes Set to Kill. You'll have to post pictures when you get them.

If you like the hard core/screamo genre, it's a great place to start shooting music. They have some really good bands that aren't huge but would still appreciate the coverage.

I can only think of a couple that would be hard to get to shoot. My friend is good friends with the bassist of August Burns Red and no matter how many times he tries to get me a photo pass through the band, it's nearly impossible.

I just recently started shooting club acts. I started out with one band, but while practicing with the lighting on the opening act, ended up hooking up with that band later in the evening and exchanging cards and all. I now have 6 bands interested, with a showcase coming up next weekend with some big name record labels going to be in attendance.
I have done some shooting for free, just to get my name out there, and word of mouth took over. It might lead to something, just playing it by ear.
I think my only advice, is make sure you have the gear to shoot. The lighting can play havoc some nights and I was not expecting that in my first one or two outings.
But for me....starting small, and word of mouth taking over from there.

Good luck. Hope this venture works out. :D

And don't be afraid to shoot high ISO.

ok thanks guy! haha well I only have 2 lenses a 18-55 and a 50mm 1.8 will these do good for the show?

[Dillz];1724217 said:
ok thanks guy! haha well I only have 2 lenses a 18-55 and a 50mm 1.8 will these do good for the show?

yeah the 1.8 will give you really good colors with out flash, but the 18-55 is great as well but you may need flash depending on the lighting. but good luck

[Dillz];1724217 said:

yeah the 1.8 will give you really good colors with out flash, but the 18-55 is great as well but you may need flash depending on the lighting. but good luck

A lot of venues specifically say, no flash.

So I should use the 50mm then? The prob is that all the focusing is manual. That might cause some problems during the show

[Dillz];1724217 said:

with major label bands, no you cant use flash, but if they are local bands in a small venue rather than a coloseum or something then you can use flash. i have been able to use flash with some major bands. just as long as it was in a huge major venue like hob or verizon wireless amph or something like that

with major label bands, no you cant use flash, but if they are local bands in a small venue rather than a coloseum or something then you can use flash. i have been able to use flash with some major bands. just as long as it was in a huge major venue like hob or verizon wireless amph or something like that

Most small venues won't let you use flash. Clubs where the band he's booked to shoot play. They're not local bands, they're national acts that aren't playing arena shows. Hell, even bands like Coheed & Cambria, Godsmack, and Rise Against have all played at semi-local small venues in DC and Baltimore in the past year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back