shooting @ shows

anything you synth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is it disrespectful/annoying to the band and other photographers if i use flash? i'm seeing some of my favorite local bands tonight and want to get good pics, but im not sure i can accomplish this w.out flash.

so 1. is it okay to use flash? and 2, is there another way to get clean pics in a low-light situation?

thanks!

If you bought tickets and they allow flash photography then by all means go for it!!!!! Bands are use to things flashing in there faces and there not always cameras ;)

it is ok to use flash, i feel annoying when i use it and i get crap for it. but bands want their picture taken, i used to be in a band and when id see flashes from the stage it would make me feel good. clean low light pictures would be a camera with good high iso performance. dont stick to just the flash though try out some other stuff too. use flash with a long shutter speed and blur the lights. if your interested in looking at some of the shots iv taken at shows go to myspace.com/mitchpasterphotography

Generally speaking flashes are a great way to get kicked out unless they are specifically allowed or cleared with the band ahead of time. The way to get good low light images is to work with a camera that has clean high-ISO and a very fast lens like a 50 1.4 or 85 1.8 or 1.2.

well i went to the show before reading the feedback, but i saw many photographers there using flash, as always. i know its allowed there, but wanted to avoid being rude. anywho, everyone was using flash so i joined in. only took a few pics, and did some long exposures, but all was well.

Check with the band via email or whatever. Most will want the exposure. Maybe use a diffuser or set up some off camera flashes for remote.

keep in mind they have bright stage lights in there face... they really wont notice it too much

Local shows usually don't matter, but if you're shooting at bigger venues, it's a no no. The people you see using flashes there are the people in the audience that have cameras that they sneaked into the show. And usually at shows like that, stage lighting is more than enough. Harsh on camera lighting often leads to craptastic images with hard shadows.

is it disrespectful/annoying to the band and other photographers if i use flash? i'm seeing some of my favorite local bands tonight and want to get good pics, but im not sure i can accomplish this w.out flash.

so 1. is it okay to use flash? and 2, is there another way to get clean pics in a low-light situation?

thanks!

Flash is not the done thing for gigs it kills the atmosphere of the shot unless you really know what you are doing

-------------

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back