Shooting wedding catalogue this Sunday, HELP!!!

AlleyCat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, so I still have no idea how I got myself in this mess. My friend's opening a small wedding salon and asked me to shoot a wedding dress catalogue for her.

The thing is I'm still quite new to the whole photography thing and though I've managed to slay the DSLR she handed me the other day I'm scared to death when it comes to the lights because I've never read or do anything with the lights before. Okay, so I've read a little, enough to know what they do and stuff but I'm still so terrified!!

We've contacted a few models - newbies and even some not-so-new and they agreed to shoot for free (compensation being the pictures) and it makes me even more nervous because I'm afraid they're gonna be so disappointed to see a "photographer" who can't slay the lights!! I'd hate to disappoint the people who trusted me and there's not only my friend but all the models as well!! OMG what should I do??!! I'm totally freaked out right now! How do I work with the stellar lights and the umbrella?? And the softbox?? How do I create good lights so it'd complement the dresses and the models as well??Does anyone have experience with this kind of photoshooting??? Please help!!!!

I know maybe I shouldn't've agreed to do this in the first place, but I thought it could be a great opportunity for me to get practice and kind of step into the whole thing... My friend knows I'm a beginner and she said she didn't mind, that she believes I can do it..But there are also the models who are believing in me too, they believe I can give them great pictures for their porfolio, that's just...too much to take!! I think I'm gonna faint...!! Please help!!!

I've got a hunch this is going to happen tomorrow..EDIT just read the title :p

When working with lights, keep it simple, start with one light. Elevate the key (main) light, if it's directly from the side, it's boring. keep it soft, so use an umbrella or softbox. Once you've started with that, THEN try a 2nd light, and maybe use it as a kicker or fill light, but again, keep it soft.

Last edited:
do alot of reading tonight on basic lighting, poses and such for wedding fashion.

Well I have 2 flash heads (Interfit Stellar XD300), a softbox and 2 umbrellas to work with..The place is quite small & narrow so the lights will have to be in front of the model or slightly on the left/right...Do you think it's ok?

If they were lights I think I might know how to "slay" them but because they're flash I have no idea if they can create the kind of light I want - like one main flash and one softer flash (is that possible anyway??)

phew, good luck.

I'd try putting the softbox behind me and well above me to create a butterfly light scheme.

Or, you could call her and say "Hey look, I don't mind doing this - but I'm going to need a lot more practice with this to make it work." Why aren't you with your friend right now messing about in the store, seeing how the different placement of lights (and exposure combinations) are working?

Or, you could call her and say "Hey look, I don't mind doing this - but I'm going to need a lot more practice with this to make it work." Why aren't you with your friend right now messing about in the store, seeing how the different placement of lights (and exposure combinations) are working?

+1

you'll probably have more luck testing them out on your friend seeing what you like than asking people on here how you should use them

Thanks you guys so much for helpful advice! I really appreciate that. Though it looks like I won't be able to put them into use today cuz the model's not here yet, it's 12PM and she was supposed to be here 2 hours ago. Can't get hold of her on the phone and she's not calling. Has anyone of you experienced this before?? This is just so annoying. I don't think she's coming and I can cope with the whole disappointment but there's the hairstylist, make up artist, stylist...everyone's waiting for nothing. I want to kill that girl!!!

Thanks you guys so much for helpful advice! I really appreciate that. Though it looks like I won't be able to put them into use today cuz the model's not here yet, it's 12PM and she was supposed to be here 2 hours ago. Can't get hold of her on the phone and she's not calling. Has anyone of you experienced this before?? This is just so annoying. I don't think she's coming and I can cope with the whole disappointment but there's the hairstylist, make up artist, stylist...everyone's waiting for nothing. I want to kill that girl!!!
Welcome to the world of working with models. Many of them will "flake" on you, meaning they won't show or call. This is typical of TFP type arrangements (Trade for Pictures).

If you want to get a model to show up on time, offer her a little money. $50 to $100 will usually get them to show.

Don't forget to get a release from these models, especially if you're using their images in a commercial catalog.

Last edited:
That's not out of the ordinary, when I see people need free models, they'll get a hold of about 30, and only one or two will actually show up.

I am looking at this in a different perspective...

Don't beat yourself up over it. The shop owner is the one ultimately responsible for the entire event. You are "hired" just as everyone else was. For free. While you may be a more key player in the day, you're all in the same boat.

If the model feels she doesn't want to show up, it's HER work ethic she is showing. She committed to somethings she knew was for free, and bailed.

In the mean time, I hope you took advantage of everything there and at least used it to practice your set-up, and maybe take advantage of some of the other persons there and still get some pictures in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back