Shopping for a used D610. What should I watch out for?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
My sister, who always complain about her D90 being too bulky and heavy for traveling, has been convinced my me to get a FX. OK I am not here to debate this. One perk of getting a FX is we can share lens(although I am really afraid she will mishandle my lens). So basically, I already have all the FX lens she needs, all she needs is a D610.

That comes the problem, what common issues should I watch out for when looking for one? I am not in the states so I can't rely on trusty vendors like KEH to do it for me. I will of course check out the gear in person, watch for any sign of damage(possible drop, bang etc). I will bring my own lens to test it for consistency. I will test the continuous shutter to check the mechanism. I will also check the mounting ring for sign of uneven wear etc.

Is there anything I should check, such as a certain range of serial number, or firmware version? Any hardware related issues I should check? I've done a quick online and forum search, and I haven't found any particular issue that affect the population. Most of the issues I've read online are user error or one-off issue. Most of the topics revolve around the disastrous D600, which should have been all fixed anyways.

It will also be great to hear your experience with the camera!

Yeah, I think you pretty much know it all.
The D610 from what I know is a pretty solid camera, as you said the issues that plagued the D600 were resolved with the D610.
If bought used then I would treat it like any other used camera I would buy, bring a lens with you and an SD card.
Shoot some shots and see how the mechanism works.
Best if you bring a laptop so you can inspect the picture you get more closely on a bigger screen.
Before you meet the seller be sure it has a low shutter count.

Good luck

30k isn't much.
If you spray and prey then it might go fast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back