Shopping List...

ErikDornes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys!

I've been checking TPF for a while now, but this is my first post, so please go gentle on me if I'm posting in the wrong section.

Anyway, I'm kind of new to the photographic world, having bought my camera a couple of monthes ago. Now, I'm on to buy some more gear, but wanted to ask what should I buy first.

I have a Canon EOS 500D, and a 18-55mm EFS Canon Lens. My to-buy-list is as follows:

- Other lenses (maybe a Telephoto or a semi-telephoto?)
- A Tripod (a must have...)
- Filters (ND Filters, etc)
- Flash gear

I was hoping you guys could help me and steer my shopping in the right direction... in what order should those itens be bought? And is there any other stuff I should get?

Thanks

It would really depend on what your needs are
- other lenses if you need something wider or longer than the 18-55
- if you are doing a lot of exposures under 1/80, get the tripod
- if you are doing a lot of landscape or need to cut the amount of light get the filters
- do you need a flash or do you enjoy shooting in natural light? Are you working in portraiture at all?

If you are just looking to shop, a filter will set you back a lot less than a new lens or lighting gear. But really, to be helpful, you would have to let us know what it is you like to shoot or what effect you are trying to achieve.

Well, I'm mainly an outside photographer... I like to take photos with natural light, but an external flash would be nice to do some filling and such. I like doing landscapes and urban shooting, and I'm trying to polish my minimalistic photography. Being a complete amateur, that's pretty much all I know about my style of photography... I'm still practicing and trying to get used to the camera. I like to compose my photos rather than just snapshot the moment.

That is the hard part for me , Trying to learn composition

I would go for a tripod first personally. You will need one eventually, and there are many shots that they are simply required for, no matter what other gear you have. Especially so since you're into landscapes and urban. A tripod will make it much easier for you to think about your composition, and will allow you to capture shots of still objects under any lighting conditions. Do a search on the forums and read up about the dangers of choosing a tripod, lol. There's a LOT of junk on the market, so do your research. A tripod that doesn't hold the camera rock steady may as well just be your hands. Look around for one that will still be strong enough when you have a lot more gear than you do now.

Hard to say where to go from there... if you're not shooting handheld as much, you may not need the flash as badly as you thought, and the lens may get you further. If you're shooting a lot of people and moving subjects though, the flash is probably the way to go (and only worth it if you can use it off-camera). Filters I would only buy if you specifically want whatever effect they provide. They're much cheaper than the other items, but there's no sense buying them before the other items unless you're saying to yourself "wish I had a polarizer here", or "this would be much easier with a grad nd" etc...

I agree with buying a tripod first. It is pretty much a necessity for getting really sharp landscape shots. Since it seems like you will mostly be taking pictures of things that don't move, a tripod will also allow you to take many more pictures in low light settings. Since your lens doesn't have IS a tripod will really help in that respect. Afterwards, when you feel like spending money again you can reevaluate your needs.

Most reactions

Back