Shore of Lake Abert, OR

charlie76

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lake Abert is an alkali lake in southern OR. This image shows a view from shore, looking down at the layers formed as the water level lowers during the dry season...very cool stuff...very cool colors. It is an ancient lake with an interesting history. Here is the wiki link.

lake abert in oregon by charlie766, on Flickr

I like how you captured the texture and color here. Could use some context to create scale.

Glad u dig it!!

Lake Abert is one of my favourite places. A few of my family and our ancestors (Northern Paiute) live/lived in the area and in Surprise Valley to the east.

This photo really shows the beauty in the lake's shore, the colours you don't see in non-alkali lake shores. I think the composition is interesting, even without an obvious sense of scale. At least for me, because I'm familiar with the lake, the scale isn't an issue. But I also think the mud gives any viewer a good sense of size. I'm struck at how you've pulled elements from your wood photos out of this subject. I mean, I see a lot of similarities. Pretty neat!

Do you have any other photos of this area?

Jaemie said:
Lake Abert is one of my favourite places. A few of my family and our ancestors (Northern Paiute) live/lived in the area and in Surprise Valley to the east.

This photo really shows the beauty in the lake's shore, the colours you don't see in non-alkali lake shores. I think the composition is interesting, even without an obvious sense of scale. At least for me, because I'm familiar with the lake, the scale isn't an issue. But I also think the mud gives any viewer a good sense of size. I'm struck at how you've pulled elements from your wood photos out of this subject. I mean, I see a lot of similarities. Pretty neat!

Do you have any other photos of this area?

No ****...you've been there?!? Wow...when I was there it seemed like a small hidden water body that doesn't get many visitors...very cool! I drove past it by chance during my travels across the country. I drove past many lakes...but out of the corner of my eye, something didn't look right about it. Sure enough...an alkali lake..first I've ever seen!! But the sun was BLINDING...not a cloud anywhere and at least 90 degrees. Seriously cool stuff.

Yes, I think I have at least a couple more shots of this spot...I'll go back and look.

Thanks for referencing my wood stuff :) ....an old friend I'm now feeling like revisiting! I have no choice....I think I have abandoned all literal perception...I see everything in abstract and wood patterns!!!
Thanks Jaemie!

Nice extra shots with the perspective! :thumbup:

Looks like a really cool place to shoot!! The first is the best to me. (but then again I am a abstract girl)
Keep shooting babe!!

Ya the place was sweet...but couldn't step anywhere cuz all that cool looking shoreline is mud....hence my dog getting ancient lake funk all over inside the rig...!

What kinda dog do you have? =)

No ****...you've been there?!? Wow...when I was there it seemed like a small hidden water body that doesn't get many visitors...very cool! I drove past it by chance during my travels across the country. I drove past many lakes...but out of the corner of my eye, something didn't look right about it. Sure enough...an alkali lake..first I've ever seen!! But the sun was BLINDING...not a cloud anywhere and at least 90 degrees. Seriously cool stuff.

Yes, I think I have at least a couple more shots of this spot...I'll go back and look.

Thanks for referencing my wood stuff :) ....an old friend I'm now feeling like revisiting! I have no choice....I think I have abandoned all literal perception...I see everything in abstract and wood patterns!!!
Thanks Jaemie!

Hehehe..! No sh1t, I've been there. :D

I love these other photos, too. That's the Abert Rim in the background, a high escarpment of old lava. The highway winds along its base for several miles, as it follows the shoreline. You've included some of the wonderful wildflowers that thrive along the lake's shore - very pretty. The lake is the breeding ground for billions of brine flies, and at certain times of the year, long piles of larvae shells stretch around the shore. It's not really a swimming lake, unfortunately. I wish I knew more about the local ecosystem.

I'm going to this area later this year, to an Indian reservation about 80 miles southeast, and I plan to take many photos! Gosh I miss this place. Thanks for sharing these. ;)

Great...no sweat! Get some shots when your out there for us!

Here's Izzo....the best dog in the world

Attachments

• $image-1271868927.jpg
    $image-1271868927.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 100
  • $image-529700063.jpg
    $image-529700063.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 101
Love the first one, the colours and textures are yummy :)
The other shots are great too! What a cool place, you captured it very well :)

Most reactions

Back