Short-eared Owl

PJM

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I was graced by a visit from a Short-eared Owl, the first I've seen. The photo's aren't terrific, I'm still working on my BIF shooting and processing skills. All my best shots seem to be of it flying away.:apologetic: (Any and all suggestions are welcome.)

#1 Short-eared owl (in flight) harassing a Snowy owl in the tree. (500mm, 1/2000 sec, f/6.3, Auto ISO (320)
_DSC0263 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

#2 500mm, 1/2000 sec, f/6.3, Auto ISO (1100)
_DSC0271 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

#3 500mm, 1/2000 sec, f/6.3, Auto ISO (450)
_DSC0296 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

#4 500mm, 1/2000 sec, f/6.3, Auto ISO (400)
_DSC0298 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

#5 500mm, 1/2000 sec, f/6.3, Auto ISO (1250)
_DSC0303 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

i read your description, you said the photos weren't terrific. i saw the first image and agreed. nothing wrong with it, but nothing terrific either. still, i figured you're doing better than me, cause i haven't seen an owl in flight.

but then i saw the second, which is pretty good, but still a little far off.

then the third, which is fantastic. and the 4th is also excellent, but i wish i could see the face.

but that last one is something special. love how the light is hitting the edges of the wings and the low flight path over the marsh. i wish the two people were out of the image, but it's not like you can really control that. wonderful colors and tones in the last.

Real nice set!

i read your description, you said the photos weren't terrific. i saw the first image and agreed. nothing wrong with it, but nothing terrific either. still, i figured you're doing better than me, cause i haven't seen an owl in flight.

but then i saw the second, which is pretty good, but still a little far off.

then the third, which is fantastic. and the 4th is also excellent, but i wish i could see the face.

but that last one is something special. love how the light is hitting the edges of the wings and the low flight path over the marsh. i wish the two people were out of the image, but it's not like you can really control that. wonderful colors and tones in the last.
Thank you for your kind comments. It took a little work in post to sharpen them up. I'd like to be able to get them sharper straight out of the camera. I'm pleased with them but part of the fun is always trying to do better.

It's a pretty good set I think, it takes a lot of practice and the right gear to consistently get good shots of bif and you're hard pressed to produce sharp detail for ones moving at distance. I must say, though, it's best to position yourself with the sun to your back, that always helps. (maybe you couldn't for some reason) If I'm preaching to the choir, please disregard the tip.

It's a pretty good set I think, it takes a lot of practice and the right gear to consistently get good shots of bif and you're hard pressed to produce sharp detail for ones moving at distance. I must say, though, it's best to position yourself with the sun to your back, that always helps. (maybe you couldn't for some reason) If I'm preaching to the choir, please disregard the tip.
Thank you. And tips are always welcome. In this case I was on the south edge of the marsh facing north. The owl was coming in from the NNE so I had a little sun on it for a bit. It then crossed in front of me heading west and back north again. That's where I got the highlights on its feathers which I kind of liked.

I did my part stimulating the economy by purchasing a decent tripod and gimbal head. That has made a huge difference for me. Next I'm thinking about a camera with better auto focus performance. This is almost as bad as when I had my boat:1247:

Great set! Love #3. Parker River I assume? I have got to get over there for a sunrise or sunset soon. I don’t really have the gear to shoot birds and I don’t like to leave the dog at home so I haven’t been there in awhile. But I am going to rent a 100-400 to test it out before I reschedule my Yellowstone trip and I will definitely be going to Parker River when I do.

Great set! Love #3. Parker River I assume? I have got to get over there for a sunrise or sunset soon. I don’t really have the gear to shoot birds and I don’t like to leave the dog at home so I haven’t been there in awhile. But I am going to rent a 100-400 to test it out before I reschedule my Yellowstone trip and I will definitely be going to Parker River when I do.
Yup, Parker River. I go there a couple of times a week now. Midweek is best (retirement benefit) because it gets busy and parking can be hard to find on weekends. Let me know if you decide to go, maybe we can meet and say hello.

They're fantastic birds to watch.

Reactions: PJM
Yup, Parker River. I go there a couple of times a week now. Midweek is best (retirement benefit) because it gets busy and parking can be hard to find on weekends. Let me know if you decide to go, maybe we can meet and say hello.

Sounds good!

I really like #3 and 4. And I’m extremely jealous you saw a snowy and short-eared! Headed this weekend to try again before they head North again.

I really like #3 and 4. And I’m extremely jealous you saw a snowy and short-eared! Headed this weekend to try again before they head North again.
Thank you! And good luck searching for yours!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back