Short fast zoom for Canon 40D

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am starting my fund to purchase a new lens. I recently shot a theatre show using just my 50mm f1.8. That was ok, and the image quality was fine, but my legs were knackered afterwards because to get full stage shots I had to be at the back of the auditorium, and to get close ups of performers I needed to go to row 2 of the seats. So, I was back and forth all the time.

I have a 40D.

I think I may be able to sort something in the region of £300, but it'll take me a couple or three months.

So, is there a decent, fast (f2.8?) zoom that would cover the range I am talking about?

I klnow I'm not getting "L" lenses ;) , but beyond that I get confused with the other stuff, what is good and what isn't.

Cheers

Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8

I was gonna say the Siggy 17-50 OS also. I'm not convinced it's better than the Canon 17-55, but it is cheaper, and they're both very nice.

Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8

Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS. It;s about £450. But it is meant to be one of the BEST mid range zooms on market! Darwin Wigget prefers it to the Canon 17-55 IS.Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 vs Canon 17-55mm f2.8 and ... - Darwin Wiggett

I was gonna say the Siggy 17-50 OS also. I'm not convinced it's better than the Canon 17-55, but it is cheaper, and they're both very nice.

I have looked closely at the Tamron...at Jessops it is £340, which is manageable in a few months. Higher than that and I might be setting the bar too high...funds are tight at the moment. Not looked at sigma, but was worried about compatability, however, I am assured that new models are fine with the Canon 40D. Will check them out...:)

Cheers folks. :)

Most reactions

Back