Short term camera/gear insurance

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm travelling to the Caribbean next month, and am planning to bring the bulk of my camera gear with me. Even though I would love to think that I'll be able to protect it at all times, or implicitly trust the staff at the hotel, ect, ect, I know there's a chance it may still meet it's doom for any one of a thousand reasons. Does anyone know of any companies that sell short term insurance policies for camera gear? Preferably ones that cover not only theft, but also loss or accidental damage. I don't have a fortune in gear, but it might as well be if I had to try to replace it..

Thanks in advance!

Not being an insurance agent, I doubt they would expend the time or energy needed to establish a policy for anything less than a one year term. As a 'rider' to my homeowners policy, specifically described (including serial numbers) photography equipment costs about $10-15 per $1000 value per year. It's really not that expensive. And what's to prevent your gear from getting dropped/stolen/'out for a swim' when you're not in the Caribbean?

Contact your travel agent; there may be travel-specific insurance which will include camera equipment, 'though it may have a fairly low max-value ceiling.

I also have a 'rider' to my homeowners policy which covers my camera equipment against theft and damage for ~$1.20 per $100 covered (per year). Which is ~$60 for every $5,000 in equipment. Also has a $0 deductible.

If you haven't already I'd double check your homeowners policy as they don't always cover camera equipment over a certain dollar amount without additional coverage (which was my case).

BTW I'm with State Farm.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't really think about using current insurance, in part because I'm deathly afraid to make claims on those policies since there tend to be consequences in terms of premiums and such, so I'll have to give them a call and see what they can offer. DBA, I'm also with State Farm, so I'll have to give them a ring. I guess I was thinking back to my racing days, when I could buy race insurance per incident, through independent companies affiliated with the race organizations. It was fairly expensive, and cost was depended on many factors. I guess I was hoping there was something similar in the photography world.

tirediron, that's a great idea, if only I had used a travel agent... I booked this one on my own. Although, I did use my credit card, which I believe has some travel coverage, so I'll have to look into that as well. Thanks for the idea, it got me thinking!

Two good options mentioned already. Check with your existing insurance and what it might cover. You may want/need to add a rider to the policy, specifically for your gear. Secondly, short term 'travel' insurance for your possessions is certainly a possibility. Talk to State Farm, but don't be afraid to just start calling various companies to ask for a quote.

Most reactions

Back