Shot a photograph of a friend but I feel like theres something missing... any advice?

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was exploring an abandoned building that was halfway burned down and I love the windows and how the light was coming in. the room itself gave this post apocalyptic feel and I wanted my friend to lean against the wall as if he was taking everything in before he went out into the world.

What I did was shot at iso 100, 28mm, 1/15 sec and at f/14. I took it into photoshop and produced a smart object and copied it to make a black an white version that would produce more contrast, more clarity, and deeper shadows. I then lowered the contrast and clarity on the color and overlayed them.

I feel like something is a little off though and I cant quite put my finger on it.

Any thoughts?

$lastof us.jpg

i think there's too much open space if he is supposed to be the subject. I'd crop out the entire farthest left window and clone out the yellow sign.

As a portrait, it doesn't work IMO, but as a shot, I like it. I think it would benefit from a trip to the distortion filter (if you have Photoshop) to true up some of the verticals, and I also think some of the dark foreground floor and right hand wall could be cropped.

I cropped in a lot when first editing it, but I really like how it is such a big room and a small subject. To me, it gives the sense of a big world/small man and hes the only one left to see what's left out there and before he goes out he's taking in everything and left in wonder of what he'll face.

I am curious! Were you able to obtain permission to enter a potentially dangerous structure like that?

I like it. My eye goes right to the yellow sign, then wanders over to your friend.

As a portrait, it doesn't work IMO, but as a shot, I like it. I think it would benefit from a trip to the distortion filter (if you have Photoshop) to true up some of the verticals, and I also think some of the dark foreground floor and right hand wall could be cropped.

Good eye, fixed verticals and distortion problem.

$lastof us.jpg

I am curious! Were you able to obtain permission to enter a potentially dangerous structure like that?

Well, There IS a gate with a broken lock, but to quote joel grimes "if there's an opportunity, take it." :lol:

Well, There IS a gate with a broken lock, but to quote joel grimes "if there's an opportunity, take it." :lol:

So Criminal Trespass is OK? What if it was your Propertly... and someone trespassed, putting YOU are risk for a huge liability lawsuit?

Yes, it is okay to me. You defining it as criminal trespassing is completely arbitrary because there was nothing criminal about anything I did. Did I walk into an abandoned building that I did not own? Yes. Did I do anything criminal? No. I took pictures without touching or moving anything, I left and I don't feel bad about it at all.

Did I walk into an abandoned building that I did not own? Yes.

This is pretty much the definition of criminal trespassing, which is a legal term, not an arbitrary label from a fellow forum member.

This is pretty much the definition of criminal trespassing, which is a legal term, not an arbitrary label from a fellow forum member.

Noted. However while you're sitting home scared of a lawsuit, letting the world pass you by, he's out there making a pretty darn nice photo that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Not that I condone trespassing or breaking the law, but if everyone followed the rules, art would not be what it is today. To get the shot, sometimes you need to go somewhere a little bit off the beaten path. Again, not telling everyone to run out and break into buildings to get photos, but it's not like he kicked the door in, or damaged anything. He didn't steal anything. As long as you tread lightly and have some common sense and respect, it's no harm no foul in my book.

Noted. However while you're sitting home scared of a lawsuit, letting the world pass you by, he's out there making a pretty darn nice photo that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Not that I condone trespassing or breaking the law, but if everyone followed the rules, art would not be what it is today. To get the shot, sometimes you need to go somewhere a little bit off the beaten path. Again, not telling everyone to run out and break into buildings to get photos, but it's not like he kicked the door in, or damaged anything. He didn't steal anything. As long as you tread lightly and have some common sense and respect, it's no harm no foul in my book.

I wonder if the owners of the building would share that sentiment? Or the insurance company that holds the policy on the property liability?
I find it interesting that people on the forum are quick to chastise for copyright violations, or software piracy, but don't bat an eye at trespassing.
is it really about being scared of a lawsuit? or is it just about respecting personal property and the law?
I guess if your "art" is more important than someones personal property or the law, then I certainly cannot argue that point.
My apologizes if I sound like a purest stick in the mud... My job as a Medic is to follow protocols, and not deviate from them even if my personal feelings would lead me to do so. I guess I just look at our laws as protocols for life that I have to follow as well. Old habits die hard I guess.
Its just my opinion, and a lot of people justify a lot of things by reason of "its a victimless crime", but this old soldier just cant stop following orders.

I feel like there's a lack of balance of light and dark here.

There's enough darkness around the top/right/bottom to suggest a picture that is a pool of light surrounded by murky darkness, but there's not enough of that murk to carry the idea. You're something like half or more "light" area, and that in a pretty prominent area. I'd either crop out some of the dark/murky and make it be about light, OR I'd reshoot with dominant dark regions.

I wonder if the owners of the building would share that sentiment? Or the insurance company that holds the policy on the property liability?
I find it interesting that people on the forum are quick to chastise for copyright violations, or software piracy, but don't bat an eye at trespassing.
is it really about being scared of a lawsuit? or is it just about respecting personal property and the law?
I guess if your "art" is more important than someones personal property or the law, then I certainly cannot argue that point.
My apologizes if I sound like a purest stick in the mud... My job as a Medic is to follow protocols, and not deviate from them even if my personal feelings would lead me to do so. I guess I just look at our laws as protocols for life that I have to follow as well. Old habits die hard I guess.
Its just my opinion, and a lot of people justify a lot of things by reason of "its a victimless crime", but this old soldier just cant stop following orders.

Makes one wonder what the Auburn Police / Sheriffs Dept would think if they saw this? ;) They would even have photographic Proof of the crime! lol!

There are people in life who stick by the rules, some who slightly deviate and those who break them. Need everyone to make the world go around.
If you really want to push the subject, I'm sure waaay back in the day, if people didnt push to change laws such as women voting and equal rights for minorities, things would be different now.

Most reactions

Back