Shot appears sharp but then isn't?

Vilatus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody.

I'm still extremely new to photography and I've learned a lot but I have no clue what's going on here. I was gifted a Sigma AF 150-500mm lens for a Sony camera, and I'm using it on my Nikon D3300 with an adapter.

When I focus on something in my viewfinder, it appears super sharp and in focus. When I take the picture and put it onto my phone or computer, it always seems like I wasn't really in focus completely. I'm really confused as to what's happening here.

Below I've attached a shot taken with my Nikon 55-200mm AF VR lens (goose), and a shot taken with the Sigma AF 150-500mm (dog).

Any ideas???

Attachments

• DSC_1246.JPG
    DSC_1246.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_1569.JPG
    DSC_1569.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
What was the shutter speed ? The goose looks ok to me.

What was the shutter speed ? The goose looks ok to me.

Yeah the goose looks fine. Ok, so that was taken a few weeks ago and if I look at the image properties the goose is "1/4000", and my dog was "1/125".

Edited because I'm an idiot and just realized what I've done lmao

Having a guess, I`d say too slow shutter speed on your dog.

If it helps try a shot again but with the Nikon and Sigma on a tripod, just to see if it is sharper. When I had my Sigma 150-600mm my lowest speed was about 1/250 unless I had something to lean on.

I have a 3200 but im sure its the same. The viewfinders on our cameras are super small. So you could just be missing focus. Or could be the adapter. Try shooting with a nikon lens and then with your sigma with adapter. And see if thats the problem.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if when you use an adapter the VR is doing anything (or maybe not helping), but make sure the VR is turned off if shutter speed is higher than say 1/500.

posted photos are WAY too small to judge accurately as well as being stripped of EXIF.

If it helps try a shot again but with the Nikon and Sigma on a tripod, just to see if it is sharper. When I had my Sigma 150-600mm my lowest speed was about 1/250 unless I had something to lean on.
I did have it on a tripod- it's so big that I have a hard time holding it steady otherwise haha. I'm thinking maybe it's that, my shutter speed is slow and maybe my slight tremor from hitting the button is enough to cause this.

Sorry about the late reply, busy today.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if when you use an adapter the VR is doing anything (or maybe not helping), but make sure the VR is turned off if shutter speed is higher than say 1/500.
The Sigma doesn't have VR. My Nikon lens does, which I don't need an adapter for because it's a Nikon camera. Not sure if I made that clear, sorry.

I think the shutter speed is the issue though- I think the slight shake when I hit the button may be doing it...

posted photos are WAY too small to judge accurately as well as being stripped of EXIF.
They're straight from my SD to my phone, so not sure what to say, sorry. All the information is still there for me.

Was there the issue with the shutter speed. I mean the concern is of shutter speed?

1/125 for a dog is the issue. Tripod won't help if subject moves, still need to bump up shutter speed.

1/125 for a dog is the issue. Tripod won't help if subject moves, still need to bump up shutter speed.
I'm a big dummy and realized after I posted. I remember everything else then forget the shutter speed which is right in my face lmao

Most reactions

New Topics

Back