Shots for a Burlesque Dance Production (NSFW)

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few shots we did at my studio for a burlesque Dance Production. All shot rather high key around f/8 for max DOF.

4162170938_eecd402c14_o.jpg

4162171556_e48a3f3c31_o.jpg

4161413231_a830c7d0de_o.jpg

4161414557_fe5ddea5e6_o.jpg

4161414741_f8f53935a4_o.jpg

I guess you had a vision and went for it. Tell us why you chose the high key approach.

Personally; Burlesque means moody and directional lighting working in dark reds or rich colours.

Love & Bass

Not so much a vision as the intended use. They are going to use these for advertisements, website, signage, etc... so they needed something that would stand out. Something that got your attention quick. That was the idea behind the high key. There were a few more traditional low key, saturated images as well... like this one:

4161413231_a830c7d0de_o.jpg

But I didn't like it as well so I chose to show the high key stuff. ;)

I would like to notice you to clean the background, its so dirty and the black background has some clone deffects i think. Check it out, one more time :)

didnt' do any cloning, but you're right the background was trashed... I have to figure out a better system for white seamless. Just realized that I posted that image twice... oops... Sorry.

They did very little smiling for the shots. They were trying to do serious, and sensual expressions. When I wasn't snapping the shutter, they were a blast! One of the best groups I've ever worked with. Well I work with them a lot so every time I work with them it's like that actually.

They all seem kind of soft, and the lighting is very flat. I'd also have to agree with craig that I'm just really not feeling the white background. Also, none of them are that good looking, but nothing you can do about that.

...Also, none of them are that good looking...

I'm so glad you brought that up. I don't know if it applies here since my impression of burlesque is pretty gritty and incongruous.

BUT.... I do think it's a valid concern when offering a portrait for critique, especially when the title is in the order of "Spring Beauty," or "Loveliness in Motion."

If a photographer is asserting an image depicts attractiveness, the model should reflect that... customer or not.

-Pete

...you're right the background was trashed... I have to figure out a better system for white seamless.

Paper is an easy way to go. Just pull some more down as necessary. I usually put down some scrap to walk on and take it out right before I shoot.

-Pete

That's what I was shooting on(white seamless) but I want to do something different at my new studio. We're moving into 4700 square feet in two weeks. 4000 square feet is open warehouse type space with 22 foot ceilings.. I want to do a permanent curved white wall. I need to do the floor in a paint that can be mopped, or cleaned rather easily... I've also heard of people using 4X8 sheets of plexi over white seamless. Easy to wash etc...

none of them are that good looking, but nothing you can do about that.
I happen to find a few of them very attractive but still.

Um there are a couple of girls in there whos wardrobe was too tight resulting in red irritation marks on their backs, this is something I would personally clean up in post if unavoidable during the shoot.

...you're right the background was trashed... I have to figure out a better system for white seamless.

Paper is an easy way to go. Just pull some more down as necessary. I usually put down some scrap to walk on and take it out right before I shoot.

-Pete

That's what I was shooting on(white seamless) but I want to do something different at my new studio. We're moving into 4700 square feet in two weeks. 4000 square feet is open warehouse type space with 22 foot ceilings.. I want to do a permanent curved white wall. I need to do the floor in a paint that can be mopped, or cleaned rather easily... I've also heard of people using 4X8 sheets of plexi over white seamless. Easy to wash etc...

It is called Cyc (cyclorama). For the space it is a must and it will be one of the best investments you have ever made. I dream of a day where I will never have to roll out the seamless. Keep in mind that you will need the help of a skilled carpenter if you are not one. Also there is a member building one and he is posting a blog. In my infinite wisdom I forgot his name.

Surely I digress, but PM me if you have further questions.

Love & Bass

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back