Shots from the Everglades. C&C welcome

Yes, Id say these look pretty good. I love the warm colors in that first picture. The action shot of that bird trying to eat that fish is really good imo. Good to be at the right place at the right time.

Nice wood stork!

Nice. Funny I was there yesterday as well. We had plans to drive down loop road but they were doing a prescribed fire and didn't let us in. Where exactly did you take the shots?

I will say nice things about the shots..I like them, now a word form our sponsor...ROLL TIDE! :wink:

I don't know if its my iPhone or what but the 3/4 had bad cropping and composition with parts of the animal being clipped out.

I know it may not have been possible for the first two photos (birds are flighty, gators are scary), but my suggestion would be to try to get down lower so you're not shooting from as high of an angle next time.

Nice shots of the Green Heron and the Wood Stork. I am coming to Florida for my third bird shoot next month. I have seen the Green Heron only once in two trips and I don't think I have seen a Wood Stork yet and I have been to a number of the well-known bird photography areas - Viera, Titusville, Merrit Island, Naples, Ding Darling, etc. Maybe this time! I like the last 'gator shot too.

WesternGuy

Nice. Funny I was there yesterday as well. We had plans to drive down loop road but they were doing a prescribed fire and didn't let us in. Where exactly did you take the shots?

The heron, wood stork, and gator in the water were at the Oasis visitor center. I see you also posted some shots from there. I was there at 430pm just as the center closed. You weren't there with a woman, both of you carrying Canons about the same time were you?

The gator on the rock was taken along 41 a ways west of the 41/29 intersection. The light was troublesome most of the day, and I had a lot of shots that were too cool, or slightly blurred due to the cloud cover.

I would have liked to have taken the loop road as well, but didn't for the same reason. Its been a couple years since I have been on it, as it has been closed every time I drove down and had the opportunity to drive through it.

Nice shots of the Green Heron and the Wood Stork. I am coming to Florida for my third bird shoot next month. I have seen the Green Heron only once in two trips and I don't think I have seen a Wood Stork yet and I have been to a number of the well-known bird photography areas - Viera, Titusville, Merrit Island, Naples, Ding Darling, etc. Maybe this time! I like the last 'gator shot too.

WesternGuy

I don't know if they will still be here next month, but right now there are a *LOT* of wood storks all along the US-41 corridor. I see the green herons pretty often, but that could be because I am usually in the back country areas in south florida when I go out to shoot. If you are looking for "birding spots", I would highly recommend spending time in Everglades National Park during the Florida winter. Its the best time to see lots of birds and at the same time, not die from mosquito induces anemia.

The heron, wood stork, and gator in the water were at the Oasis visitor center. I see you also posted some shots from there. I was there at 430pm just as the center closed. You weren't there with a woman, both of you carrying Canons about the same time were you?

The gator on the rock was taken along 41 a ways west of the 41/29 intersection. The light was troublesome most of the day, and I had a lot of shots that were too cool, or slightly blurred due to the cloud cover.

I would have liked to have taken the loop road as well, but didn't for the same reason. Its been a couple years since I have been on it, as it has been closed every time I drove down and had the opportunity to drive through it.

Nope not us. We both have Nikons and were there earlier in the day. Yes it seemed like I was constantly fiddling with my shutter to account for either clouds or the sun peeking out. The light was constantly changing but it is south Florida and that just makes it fun. :)

The Sandhill Cranes ought to be cluttering the skies over Gainesville right about now.

WesternGuy

I don't know if they will still be here next month, but right now there are a *LOT* of wood storks all along the US-41 corridor. I see the green herons pretty often, but that could be because I am usually in the back country areas in south florida when I go out to shoot. If you are looking for "birding spots", I would highly recommend spending time in Everglades National Park during the Florida winter. Its the best time to see lots of birds and at the same time, not die from mosquito induces anemia.

Thanks for the info. I am headed to the western side of the peninsula this year, at least to start - Fort Meyers, Sanibel Island including Ding Darling, Coral City, Little Estero Lagoon and maybe the Venice area. I will be shooting with Art Morris and others. Then I am off to Gatorland in Orlando with Bob Amoruso for a couple of days. I want to get to Viera and then St. Augustine and the Alligator farm. Other places like Merritt Island and Titusville as time permits. I hope the weather will be as good this year as it has been the last two years. I would like to find a place to rent, one of those "Vacation Rentals by Owner" that are on the web, somewhere around Melbourne for maybe a month or so each winter. This would give me a home base and access to a lot of the eastern side "bird" areas. I could also skip over to the western side for a few days as it isn't that far to drive. Anyway, plans for the future.

WesternGuy

Ding darling can be hit or miss but there are times when the birds are everywhere especially in the lake/wetland area. There is a patch of semi dry area in the middle of the lake where they tend to congregate. Have fun.

Most reactions

Back