Shots of Downtown

Robshoots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm working on processing B&W images and think I might be making progress. It seems to be a rather steep learning curve. I'm especially trying to get images with high contrast and know enough now to look for high contrast scenes, so at least that's a start. Comments welcome. Thanks.

Dntwn B&W 1 s 5213.jpeg

Dntwn B&W 6 s 5190.jpeg

Dtwn B&W 2 s 5211.jpeg

Dntwn B&W 3 s 5208.jpeg

Dntwn 4 s 5215.jpeg

Cool abstracts and clever use of angles. Interesting set.

Nice set but 3 and 4 for me........
Thanks, Jeff. #4 is okay, but while I like the subject in #3 there is just something not quite right about it. And maybe it’s the subject itself. I’ll fiddle with it some more.

-

… really dig the first two! :encouragement:
Thanks very much. I like them as well. I was pretty sure when I saw the shots that they would produce the look I was after. I’m still learning how to see in black and white.

I like the set, especially #1 and #2 for the abstract vision, and #4, just because I like old time cinemas. I understand your feeling on #3, it's not quite centered, and that one would lend itself to being symmetrical. Maybe moving the point of the corner to the top, and creating a triangle of sky one either side?

I like the set, especially #1 and #2 for the abstract vision, and #4, just because I like old time cinemas. I understand your feeling on #3, it's not quite centered, and that one would lend itself to being symmetrical. Maybe moving the point of the corner to the top, and creating a triangle of sky one either side?
Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff. You’re right about the building being a tad off center. I should have been about two steps to the left. Moving the building to the top of the frame is good, too. My earlier comment referred to the black and white quality of the photo. It just seemed a bit muddy, for lack of a better word, but now I think it might be the original colors of the building.

This is a style that I have no experience in, but I do know they are interesting to me. The conversion works well because of the pronounced contrast in shadows created by angles and lines, IMO.

This is a style that I have no experience in, but I do know they are interesting to me. The conversion works well because of the pronounced contrast in shadows created by angles and lines, IMO.
Thank you, Dean. I also find that architectural abstract style interesting. Maybe I should follow that lead. I appreciate the comment.

1 and 2 for the win. 3 and 5 needs the midtones bumped up a little. Overall, really nice set. Don't be afraid to bump up the blacks and shadows a little. I know you want contrast but in 4 a little detail in the shadows would strengthen it for me but that is purely taste.

Most reactions

Back