Should I be concerned about camera equipment while shooting in freezing conditions?

zland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was planning on using my new Canon 7D & 70-200mm lens to shoot some pictures while snow skiing this winter. Is there any concerns I should have using that equipment in below freezing temperatures?

At -20 degC my battery life is reduced to anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes. This is due to the fluids inside it freezing and the chemistry giving up, keep your batteries in your pocket, and take them out for shooting.

At -55 degC after half an hour my autofocus failed because the motor didn't have enough torque to spin the lens anymore, zooming was hard, LCD took reaaaaaaly long to respond to button presses.

At -55 degC after an hour and a half or so my mirror jammed. Everything returned to normal when the camera was heated.

I have a D200, metal body camera like the 7D.

At -55 degC after half an hour my autofocus failed because the motor didn't have enough torque to spin the lens anymore, zooming was hard, LCD took reaaaaaaly long to respond to button presses.

At -55 degC after an hour and a half or so my mirror jammed. Everything returned to normal when the camera was heated.

At that temperature you're dead anyway so who cares?

My high mountain photography was back in the film days but cold isn't the only variable. Humidity is a critical variable, too. The cold won't damage you camera so give it a try in your cold weather and how you work.

Do be aware that landing on your camera on hard-packed snow can cause far more damage to you than to your camera.

Garbz is obviously not dead... :er:

For some time now i've been thinking about testing regular alkaline v. rechargeable v. lithium batteries in cold weather. i.e. Sticking them in the freezer for some period of time and then testing measuring the drain. But I don't have a volt-meter and don't care enough to go buy one. Anybody wanna run with my idea? Or can anyone point to where this has been done already and the results are available?

Garbz is obviously not dead... :er:

Are you sure?

I was planning on using my new Canon 7D & 70-200mm lens to shoot some pictures while snow skiing this winter. Is there any concerns I should have using that equipment in below freezing temperatures?

I would personally be more concerned with falling on my face and breaking my camera that way quicker than it freezing. :lol: Make sure your equipment is insured!

As someone mentioned, you need to be concerned about humidity when shooting at freezing temperatures. Specifically, you have to be careful when bringing your camera back into a heated space because moisture will quickly form on all the cold surfaces of your camera gear. The best solution is to seal your gear in an air tight bag before going in, then letting it warm up before opening the bag. If that's not practical, at least keep the gear in a zipped up camera bag until it can warm up....remember however, that a camera bag will act like a cooler and keep the gear cold for a long time.

As someone mentioned, you need to be concerned about humidity when shooting at freezing temperatures. Specifically, you have to be careful when bringing your camera back into a heated space because moisture will quickly form on all the cold surfaces of your camera gear. The best solution is to seal your gear in an air tight bag before going in, then letting it warm up before opening the bag. If that's not practical, at least keep the gear in a zipped up camera bag until it can warm up....remember however, that a camera bag will act like a cooler and keep the gear cold for a long time.

Thanks guys, I would have never thought about the moisture issue while warming up until it was too late :(

Thanks guys, I would have never thought about the moisture issue while warming up until it was too late
Can't blame you for not thinking of that...(according to your profile) you live in Oceanside. :lol:
Up here, it's already getting cold enough that we need to start thinking of this.

Also, condensation can be an issue going the other way...inside to out, if you are going from a cool/dry air conditioned space, out into a warm humid environment. I had a real problem with this when I was in Costa Rica.

I carry some desiccant (silica gel) in my camera bag to absorb moisture.

Most reactions

Back