Should I be concerned about camera equipment while shooting in freezing conditions?

Thanks guys, I would have never thought about the moisture issue while warming up until it was too late
Can't blame you for not thinking of that...(according to your profile) you live in Oceanside. :lol:
Up here, it's already getting cold enough that we need to start thinking of this.

Also, condensation can be an issue going the other way...inside to out, if you are going from a cool/dry air conditioned space, out into a warm humid environment. I had a real problem with this when I was in Costa Rica.

I carry some desiccant (silica gel) in my camera bag to absorb moisture.

Yeah, I got caught completely by surprise while in Jamaica last year. Fortunately, no damage.

Well it gets nice and cold here. What I do is keep extra batteries in my inside coat pocket. I also pretty much keep my camera under my out shell and, if it is real cold out I keep it under my jacket till I need it. I have been out shooting in -20°F and, colder with every camera I have had and, I have always done this.

I don't use my Nikon D40 in the cold often but when I was in CT, I did a few times, just make sure you warm it properly when you go inside. I stay out for an hour or two when it 30 F and when, I got inside, I leave the camera in the bag and would take it to basement where there wouldn't be as big of a temperature different and leave it there for a while.

Yep it even told me as the mirror return got louder and louder and I could start to hear my "silent" wave motor :lmao:

Also all the fuss about condensation, in nearly every instance the condensation that builds up disappears soon after anyway. I see people using zip lock bags full of those moisture absorbing packs and can only think water only damages a camera that is on, and only certain circumstances. Condensation is incredibly pure, and distilled water doesn't (shouldn't) affect electronics. Definitely don't use this as a green pass but I'm just saying don't go overboard.

Leaving a camera off in your camera bag for half an to an hour or so after you go inside will do the trick.

As someone mentioned, you need to be concerned about humidity when shooting at freezing temperatures. Specifically, you have to be careful when bringing your camera back into a heated space because moisture will quickly form on all the cold surfaces of your camera gear. The best solution is to seal your gear in an air tight bag before going in, then letting it warm up before opening the bag. If that's not practical, at least keep the gear in a zipped up camera bag until it can warm up....remember however, that a camera bag will act like a cooler and keep the gear cold for a long time.

Thanks a lot Big Mike! I wanted to start this year shooting my friends while skiing in the Rockies. I heard about the moisture thing and I was wondering what was the trick. You exactly gave the answer I was looking for! :thumbup:

If I understand properly, before I go back inside, I can put my camera in a giant ziplock bag, suck up the air and seal it. It should be save enough to bring the camera back inside without having to worry about moisture in the lense?

Most reactions

Back