Should I buy a 430ex II, 580ex II, or something else?

Carny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been researching a bit but I'm still not sure. I have a guy willing to sell me a 430ex ii with gary fong diffuser for $200, but I'm not sure if I should get it or wait for a 580ex ii or just get something else all together.

I'm mostly interested in being able to get good shots of my son that will be born in just a few weeks or so. I'm have a Canon T2i right now. Would there be any advantage to getting a 580 now as opposed to using a 430 for a while and then getting a 580?

Skip on the fong dong. It's not really all it's cracked up to be.

At your level, you'd be happy with either a 430 or a 580. I personally use two 430's and haven't seen a need to get a 580... Yet.

You'll probably be OK with the 430EX.

I'm not a fan of the Fong Dong, but mostly because it's over priced and also because people tend to use them in the wrong situations. If you can't get the flash any cheaper (without the FG), then take it and use it....it's not completely useless.

If you don't want the 430 EX II I'll take it! I'd go for it!

I've been using a 430 myself for a while now and think it's a great unit. Haven't seen the need to use anything else. Recycle time slows down quite a bit once the batteries are no longer fresh out of the package, but I'd imagine that goes for just about any flash.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll go ahead and pick it up if he calls me back. I see they sell for $200 without the diffuser so I'm not really risking anything.

Tyler, you mentioned using two 430's, do you have some sort of controller? I thought that the big reason to get a 580 was b/c it would act as a master. If you don't need it for that it will probably be a long time before I could justify the extra $.

+1 on the 430. Just got mine and love it. No experience with Fong. I'm cheap and just use an index card as a reflector though I will probably DIY one out of foam.

I recently purchased a 430EX II while being it a similiar dilemma.. Flash or a new lens.. Seing as i already have a pretty decent spectrum coveren (50mm, 17-85mm, 70-300mm, I decided on the flash.. and im happy i did! Fill flash in daylight is.. YUMMY!

I've been using a 430 myself for a while now and think it's a great unit. Haven't seen the need to use anything else. Recycle time slows down quite a bit once the batteries are no longer fresh out of the package, but I'd imagine that goes for just about any flash.
That is typical of alkaline batteries...but I've found that with most NiMH rechargeable batteries, the recycle time stays pretty fast until they are almost drained.

Would there be any advantage to getting a 580 now as opposed to using a 430 for a while and then getting a 580?

There are two differences that were relevant to me.

The main one for me was the 580ex allows 2nd curtain sync https://www.google.com/search?q=rea...gHvzKD0BQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=827
The 430 doesn't

Also, the 580ex has an input for a 'battery pack' , Battery Packs
The 430 doesn't.

that being said I have used a 430ex for four years now doing the same thing you plan to do.
I would get the 430 and learn with it.
It's not something you'll out grow.
It may become a 'kicker light' one day but you'll still be using it. ;)

Would there be any advantage to getting a 580 now as opposed to using a 430 for a while and then getting a 580?

The main one for me was the 580ex allows 2nd curtain sync https://www.google.com/search?q=rea...gHvzKD0BQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=827
The 430 doesn't

The 430 doesn't.

that being said I have used a 430ex for four years now doing the same thing you plan to do.

That's funny.. my 430ex II has rear curtain sync.. :/ might be because the 430ex didn't , and the 430ex II does.. :)

That is typical of alkaline batteries...but I've found that with most NiMH rechargeable batteries, the recycle time stays pretty fast until they are almost drained.

I think I'll give that a try. I seem to gobble up alkalines like crazy.

The 430 doesn't

The 430 doesn't.

The 430EX II definitely allows for rear curtain sync.

That's funny.. my 430ex II has rear curtain sync.. :/ might be because the 430ex didn't , and the 430ex II does.. :)

The 430EX II definitely allows for rear curtain sync.

I don't have a 430EX II.

I have a 430EX that doesn't sync with the 2nd curtain.

but now that i look at the thread title, EX II, i see that the OP wasn't referring to the 430 EX. my bad..

I'm open to anything that will suit my needs, doesn't have to be on of the two I asked about or even Canon. Is there a cheaper alternative that will work for me?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back