Should I Buy A Rebel XT As A Starter?

SUPERSTEVE9219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had my grandmas old Cannon Rebel and I like it alot but I run a blog and do alot of work logs and I really want a digital SLR for taking photos of a variety of things.

I was thinking about getting a Canon Rebel XT without a lens because I heard the lens it comes with isn't that great. I plan on using the lens off my old canon rebel until I buy a better lens.

I have checked online and I could either get a canon rebel with a lens and a 1 gig card for 529 or without the lens for 399, what should I go for? And if I go without the lens whats a pretty good all around lens to start off with?

Ok ask yourself this. Am I going to use this camera as much as this 529 dollars is worth. If the answer is yes go for it. If no then take a little time to think. Thats what I did and I am very happy with my decision.
As for lenses I am a nikon user so i really don't know where to point ya. Look around in the forums there are posts like this all the time. Hope it helped.
-Rob

Welcome to the forum.

If you are used to using a film Rebel, you will probably be quite comfortable using a Rebel XT. It's a great camera.

The 18-55mm kit lens gets a bad reputation...mostly, I think, because of the way it feels compared to other lenses. It's not actually that bad.

Do you know about the 'crop factor'? Basically it means that a digital SLR like the XT, will give your lenses a narrower field of view than a 35mm film SLR. The factor is 1.6. So while you certainly can use the lens from your film camera, it will feel longer when used on the digital camera. That's great when shooting something far away or when you want a close up...but it becomes a problem when you want a wider view or when you don't have room to back up. This is why the kit lens has such a short focal length...to give you back the wide view that you are used to on a film camera.

Anyway, I recommend getting the kit lens...it's not very expensive and you can upgrade later if you really feel that you need to.

ditto what Big Mike said about the kit lens. It's actually not all that bad. I was able to get some neat shots with that lens. You can get the XT and lens combo for $459 at Amazon. I have stepped up to a nicer camera, but am considering purchasing another one of these XT/lens combo's for the race track next season to have around my neck as a victory lane camera/lens.

Anyway, it was my first digital SLR and it treated me very very well!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok ask yourself this. Am I going to use this camera as much as this 529 dollars is worth. If the answer is yes go for it. If no then take a little time to think. Thats what I did and I am very happy with my decision.
As for lenses I am a nikon user so i really don't know where to point ya. Look around in the forums there are posts like this all the time. Hope it helped.
-Rob

yea I been actually debating about this since September, I knew I wanted one but I haven't had $500 to upgrade from a point and shoot and the film one I have, but I have the extra money now and this is something I been planing on getting for a while.

I decided ill go with the kit lens

thanks alot guys!

I started with one and it made me so happy. I loved it. Kit lens was a charm to work with and should be better than the lens you already have (if the one you have came with any other kind of Rebel, if it was bought seperately, then it might be better)

Most reactions

Back