Should I buy a refurb DSLR with a warranty?

jakehinds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to get a DSLR for my birthday, and I've been looking at the Nikon D3100 for awhile now. It's 450$ new on amazon and in my local camera store. On adorama its 350$ refurbished, and I was thinking about getting that along with an aftermaket warranty. It does have the Nikon 90 day warranty though. I have no idea what warranty to choose out of all of them, and am asking for help. Here's the website:

Buy or Learn at Adorama

It seems that Mack is the most popular on Adorama, but i've seen square trade also.

After market or extended warranties are rarely worth the money. The inexpensive ones are not transferable if you sell the gear.

To the warranty seller, the cost of an extended warranty is virtually 100% profit.

Some Nikon authorized refurbished sellers like Cameta Camera, add their own no extra charge warranty to Nikon's 90-day warranty so the gear is covered by Cameta Camera for 275 days beyond Nikon's 90-day warranty.

After market or extended warranties are rarely worth the money. The inexpensive ones are not transferable if you sell the gear.

To the warranty seller, the cost of an extended warranty is virtually 100% profit.

Some Nikon authorized refurbished sellers like Cameta Camera, add their own no extra charge warranty to Nikon's 90-day warranty so the gear is covered by Cameta Camera for 275 days beyond Nikon's 90-day warranty.

So if I were to buy from them, would I have to add anything to my cart or is it just already applied when I buy from Nikon?

I bought my D3200 a week or two ago from Cameta Camera refurbished and its flawless. Only had 140 pictures taken when I got it. No problems yet and I saved a good bit of money on it.

edit: and the cameta store has a year warranty included, I got it shipped super fast to. It took like 3 days from when I ordered it to arrive.

I'm looking to get a DSLR for my birthday, and I've been looking at the Nikon D3100 for awhile now. It's 450$ new on amazon and in my local camera store. On adorama its 350$ refurbished, and I was thinking about getting that along with an aftermaket warranty. It does have the Nikon 90 day warranty though. I have no idea what warranty to choose out of all of them, and am asking for help. Here's the website:

Buy or Learn at Adorama

It seems that Mack is the most popular on Adorama, but i've seen square trade also.

I also just bought a refurb from Cameta. $400 for the D5100 w/ the included 1 year warranty and free shipping. It took about 3 business days to get here. Body only with all the accessories. I'm very happy with it. It had 1008 shutter count but was in perfect condition. I also bought the Nikon 18-105 AF-S VR refurbished from Adorama. In total I saved about $300 by buying the refurbished items instead of new. I can't see myself buying any camera equipment new/retail as there is so much used/refurb stuff out there at great prices.

I only buy used lenses, cameras and cars and all for the same reason; they're cheap(er) and they work. I typically buy from BH and I have been absolutely satisfied to date.

Well I just looked at the fine print on adorama's VIP plan and it says it must be purchased new during my membership, so that won't work. But what's the difference between buying from cameta camera, and getting the automatic 1 year warranty, or buying from any other places? All I know are cameta, B&H, and adorama. On B&H, there's a square trade warranty for 74$...

Most reactions

Back