should I buy it??

colette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friend who wants to sell me his olympus e300. (he just doesn't use it anymore; nothing wrong with it) Anyone have an opinion on the camera??

This would be my first SLR. Is it a good camera to start with??

Any opinions are welcomed.

Also, does anyone know what a good price is??? (excellent condition, 2 lenses, battery + charger, memory card)

Thanks!

what lenses are they and how much do they want for it?

This is what he told me....

Olympus E-300 with Zuiko 14-45mm lense $300.00
Zuiko 50-200mm lense $900.00
Lense Filters (UV,Flouresent,Polar) $50.00
Backpack $50.00
Battery pack, extra battery
Remote control, charger
Tripod, Lense shield thing, 1 Gig storage card $70.00
$1,370

I figure since the entire package is used, I’d take $1,200.00

What do you think??

Well, it looks like you'd be spending all your money on the one lens, basically. (Basically, it looks to me like he's selling you that lens and throwing in a camera.) But that lens goes for about $950 new, I think -- so this isn't a super deal. With respect to the camera body, Adorama has E-300's used for $160, and I think the 14-45 can be picked up on e-bay for $40. So he's over-charging you $100 on that combo, I think. The other stuff could vary in quality -- but it looks like he's not cutting you any spectacular deal on it. (A 1 gig card can be had for almost nothing these days, for example.)

So about that camera...again, I'm not an Olympus guy, but it looks like it was a bit of an odd duck even in its day. (Side-mounted mirror?) DPReview only gave it a "recommended" when it came out (which is a relatively low rating from there). Olympus EVOLT E-300 Review: 29. Conclusion: Digital Photography Review And it's now -- what, like five years old? It's not what I'd necessarily think of as a good starting place for getting into SLR's.

On the other hand, $1200 will get you a decent setup with current technology -- or a pretty solid setup with last generation technology (i.e. one or two years ago -- like the Canon 30D). So even though he's a friend, I'm not sure this is a great deal. Unless you're really interested in that lens for some reason, I'd pass.

cant complain about anything bob said....i would have to agree plus going with CANON or um nikon :p gives you a larger lens and accesories option. I believe for the same 1200 you could pick up a used 40d and lens combo try it out

yeah i agree with these guys...1200 seems like a bit of loot considering the body is that old...
you could get a nicer setup for that money i think.
if you dont necessarily NEED that high end lens...maybe get the package without that glass...if he knocks $900 OFF then maybe...

if you really wanna stick with olympus, these are nice packages:
Olympus E-520 10.0 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body with 2.7" HyperCrystal II LCD Screen with 14-42mm Zoom Lens, 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom Lens & Zuiko 70mm - 300mm f/4.0-5.6 E-ED Digital Zoom Lens
Olympus E-520 10.0 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body with 2.7" HyperCrystal II LCD Screen with 14-42mm Zoom Lens, 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom Lens & Zuiko 70mm - 300mm f/4.0-5.6 E-ED Digital Zoom Lens and FREE Olympus Gadget Bag

though, if youre ready to drop 1200...dont do it on your friends set up...i would explore nikon and canon options first.

Most reactions

Back