Should I buy Lightroom?

cbarnard7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

I've been taking photos for years (although I've just recently stepped up from a high-end point-and-shoot to a DSLR). Now that I'm more "serious" about my photography skills, I'd really like to work on my editing.

I've used GIMP for a while since it's a great program and...well, it's free. ;). I feel that I do alright (still very much a noob) with the levels and exposures and what-not, but I have been really looking into possibly buying Lightroom.

I'm going to try the trial version soon (although it will be version 5), but would anyone recommend Lightroom 3 or something a little older (for budget reasons)? Or, should I just give in and buy the new version?

Any opinions on Lightroom as a whole? What do you use it for, mainly? I shoot in RAW and would love a little more control over lighting and exposure with my landscape/wildlife photos.

Thanks again!
Here is something I shot last week on a hike:View attachment 48766

LR rocks. Great software. There are some really great upgrades in V5 so I would recommend getting the latest version if you can afford it.

agree buy it, its not that expensive compared to photoshop and it rocks my socks!

Wow, 3/3 on buying it! Hah, well I will go home today and get the trial and hopefully fall in love with it like you all have! Looking forward to it, then! I'll just buy the 5th version if I like it and get used to the newer features. Thanks everyone!

Wow, 3/3 on buying it! Hah, well I will go home today and get the trial and hopefully fall in love with it like you all have! Looking forward to it, then! I'll just buy the 5th version if I like it and get used to the newer features. Thanks everyone!

That is the best thing to do is try the 30 days for free. LR5 requires Windows 7 with service pack 1 or Window 8, just FYI.

Wyogirl, search for the thread "post a picture of yourself" and then we want to see this picture of you and your rocked socks ;)

I'm going to have to go ahead and second that...:sexywink:

<3 my LR. Most all of my processing is covered there.

SCraig? Why 3/4? Why don't you like it?

I have it and don't use it, I prefer Photoshop. It could not get used to it after using PS for so long. I recommend Photoshop Elements 11 which can be gotten from amazon fro under $69 and is a bargain editor for the money.

My main editing tool is LR. I would go with version 5. I believe LR is a must have. Most people that hate it most likely don't know its full potential.

Lightroom is a great 'workflow' software. It can take you right from raw files to printing or uploading to the web. I like to say that it does 90% of what 90% of photographers need to do with their photos.

It's not a replacement for Photoshop CS or Elements. They are image editing & manipulation software....and allow you to do or create just about anything. Lightroom is more geared specifically for photographers.

It's a great cataloging/organizing program as well.

There is a bit of a learning curve. So in order to really get the most out of it, most people do need to put in the effort to educate themselves. There are many websites & books etc. to check out. I teach a class on it...and the class is 18 hours, so there is certainly a lot to learn.

To help sway your decision...check out this series of 100 short videos. Much of it is a comparison of Lightroom to 'Bridge'...but it's all good info.
Learning Center ? 100 Ways Adobe Lightroom Kicks Adobe Bridge?s A$$ For Photographers

Big Mike- Thanks for your input! I'm more attracted to Lightroom for the reason that it is for photography and not so much manipulation. I'm more into tweaking colors and exposures, not so much cropping someone/thing out of the picture. I could do that with GIMP anyway. I appreciate your imput and I will be sure to make the most out of anything I get into!

Kathy- I think that seems to be true with most things! If it sucks, it must be the product ;)

Tony- I will definiately look into Elements as well, thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

Back