Should I buy this or that?

Just rent a 5d and a couple of lenses for your first gig. Going rate is over a grand... The equipment rental will run you less than $500.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to make informed decisions... That usually involves educating myself on at least a basic level about what I am doing. I wouldn't hire someone who uses a garden spade to dig a canal... I'd find someone who has the right equipment.

Understood. However, canals can be dug by a garden spade...it'll just take a very long time. Weddings can be shot on lesser gear as well. You own a 50D and state you'd turn away anyone with less than a 7D. I find that kind of weird. The 50D you own is more than capable.

Obviously this is an endless debate, and many of us here that are in the know would prefer the wedding photographer to show up with proper gear. This means multiple professional bodies, and professional lenses and other supporting gear. However, I still stick by opinion in that I don't care what you're shooting with, be it a Brownie or a Hasselblad H3D, if you can provide quality images that the b&g likes and enjoys then good for you.

Sure, there will be times when gear will limit what can be obtained, but by the same token don't be so quick to discount those who have lesser gear who know it inside and out and know how to obtain great quality results from it.

I probably wouldn't have spoken up any had you not mentioned the anything less than 7D part when you're carrying the same 50D I am. I don't see any reason why a 50D (or a 40D, or a...etc) can't be used to shoot a wedding provided you put some quality glass on it. The point is that obviously there is gear better suited for the job, but as with many things in life, there are more ways and more tools to get the job done. There is no only one right way. If there was, it'd be pretty boring, yes?

The right gear is too easy to get for it not to show up when the going rate is so high. Man up and rent the right stuff if you don't already have it. That's all I'm saying.

In my opinion a wedding on the hands of a good photographer can end up just as good shot with a Rebel than with a 5DMkII. At the end of the day unless you'll be making huuuge prints the real difference comes in with what lenses you use. I'd rather shoot a wedding with a Rebel XS+a 17-40L than with a 7D+18-55 Kit Lens.

OP, I recommend you get a used 40D and a better lens if you plan on shooting weddings. Save up and plan ahead.

My 2 cents.

:grumpy: Wheres Bitters opinion when you want some fuel for the fire!! I like this discussion, but heres my opinion;

A good eye for comp, understanding of the equipment, lighting, with less equipment will be better than someone without the knowledge but top of the line equipment anyday. You can buy $100.00 paintbrush, and call yourself an artist if you like, but a $1.00 brush in a skilled hand will create you a masterpiece.

Please I need a help to buy a decent wide angle digital compact ultrazoom camera, can someone ( professional or/and experienced ) give me a good advice coz I'm a bit lost in translation.

Temporary I'm using Sony DSC H3 camera but I'm not very satisfied with it's photo quality.

I would like to have camera with following specs:

-optical zoom 15 X or higher,
-wide angle recording,
-advanced manual options,
-more realistic ( [FONT=&quot]details, colors, shades ) and sharper images
-recording in RAW and JPEG format,
-making good pictures in a low light conditions,
- price between 300 - 400 $.

I need something that is affordable enough for non - professional, who's taking very versatile pictures ( indoors, exterior - buildings with it's details, nature, landscapes, other people, artistic photos...). In addition, occasionally I'm going to use my new photo for my occupation, documenting historic monuments of cultural significance ( [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here and there[/FONT][FONT=&quot] i would like to have decent pictures capable for publishing ).

Thanks in advance !
[/FONT]

When we shopped for a wedding photographer, we didnt focus on equipment, but on results. If the person had the images in the style we wanted them, and to the level of satisfaction we were looking for and in the price range we had set, then we were good. Whether he shot film, digital or whatever body and lenses didnt matter.

To touch on the canal digger with a spade... If this guy with the spade could prove to me that he could dig that canal faster than the one with the equipment, I would consider him just as much as the other guy.

Besides, these days, access to a good digital camera is easy. Access to buying lenses is easy. I know some people with 5D2 and some L lenses and you know what? All I get from him is that he has cash to buy equipment. I've seen better shots with a Rebel and non L lenses.

Looking at equipment may be an indicator, but no where is it a full sign that the person should be hired.

Understood. However, canals can be dug by a garden spade...it'll just take a very long time. Weddings can be shot on lesser gear as well. You own a 50D and state you'd turn away anyone with less than a 7D. I find that kind of weird. The 50D you own is more than capable.

The dude with the canal digging equipment may have purchased it knowing he'd get contract, but that does not mean he knows how to run the equipment to make it efficient.

A teacher I had shot weddings with a 40D and did some excellent work. He had some L lenses but loved the 17-85.

Hello, I'm sorry if I bother You, but

please can you help me over my problem i have stated below...

I would be very gratefull, Thank you in advance!

Anybody,... I know that I'm new out here, but i really need a help...

Anybody,... I know that I'm new out here, but i really need a help...

You need to post this in a new thread and not hijack someone elses thread. I can't really comment on any point and shoot cameras as I haven't owned one in some years.

Please I need a help to buy a decent wide angle digital compact ultrazoom camera, can someone ( professional or/and experienced ) give me a good advice coz I'm a bit lost in translation.

Temporary I'm using Sony DSC H3 camera but I'm not very satisfied with it's photo quality.

I would like to have camera with following specs:

-optical zoom 15 X or higher,
-wide angle recording,
-advanced manual options,
-more realistic ( [FONT=&quot]details, colors, shades ) and sharper images
-recording in RAW and JPEG format,
-making good pictures in a low light conditions,
- price between 300 - 400 $.

I need something that is affordable enough for non - professional, who's taking very versatile pictures ( indoors, exterior - buildings with it's details, nature, landscapes, other people, artistic photos...). In addition, occasionally I'm going to use my new photo for my occupation, documenting historic monuments of cultural significance ( [/FONT][FONT=&quot]here and there[/FONT][FONT=&quot] i would like to have decent pictures capable for publishing ).

Thanks in advance !
[/FONT]

Dude... thread hijacking is a definite no-no on ANY forum. Go start your own thread for advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back