Should I Get a Canon 1Ds Mk2?

TXLe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all, I don't want this to turn into a Nikon vs Canon debate; but if it does, I prefer if we restrict to the comparison of these two models.

I currently have a Nikon D7000 with three lenses - Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, Nikon 35mm f1.8 and Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D. I'm thinking of getting the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Nikon 85mm f/1.8 and 105mm f/.8 at a later date if I stay with the Nikon. So I'm not too heavily invested in Nikon lenses at the moment.

I currently have an opportunity to acquire a Canon 1Ds Mk2. I have several reasons to wanting to get it. First, I want to get into full-frame. Second, the DX lens selection for Nikon sucks monkey balls, especially for mid-range and long-range primes. Third, entry cost to Canon full frame bodies are much cheaper than Nikon when I want to upgrade the body at a later date. Forth, Canon used lenses market is better than Nikon as for price and selection available.

My reservation is that, the Canon is 9 years old technology and I have never handled one. The only things I have going is specs vs specs comparison. Anyone here who has used/owned both cameras can give me some insights would be appreciated.

It all depends on what it is costing you as to whether it is a good idea to get it or not, average pricing ranges from $800 used to $1380 for a refurb with short warranty. Image quality for the 1DSMKII is pretty darned good for it's generation of cameras, but has been easily exceeded by the 5DIII.

Buying a 9 years old technology ?
I wouldn't bother!
If you plan on going pro then get current pro equipment, if you just want to go to full frame then either get a last generation pro body like the 5D II or D700 or even the 6D or D610.

You are complaining about Nikon DX lenses and I don't understand why bother to get DX lenses ?
I have 5 lenses on my D7100 which as you know is a DX body and all these lenses are FX and with this combination of lenses + body I am as happy as a worm in a juicy apple so if lenses are the problem then get FX lenses for your 7D3.

IMO with 5 lenses for Nikon mount is already invested enough to stick with Nikon. If you want FF, look for a refurbished Nikon D600.

The canon 1d series are great cameras with great image quality. I had a 1ds and 1d mark 2(not ff) and i was happy with both, the 1ds2 is supposedly a good improvement over the 1ds. In your position i would not buy a 1ds2 though. The screen is smaller, the batteries are not great and though you say that glass is limited for nikon dx bodies, to get the equivalent lenses on the 1ds as what you now have on your d7000 you would drop a small fortune.

I am not so sure about the fullframe advantage. definetely it is nicer for dof in portraits but add a faster 50mm f1.4 and you may be sorted. Many will say that fullframe is a way better, in some regards it is but with sensor tech and the way it has improved over the last 9 years, i am not sure you will see the benefit. If you really need fullframe it may be better to source a used nikon d700

"Third, entry cost to Canon full frame bodies are much cheaper than Nikon when I want to upgrade the body at a later date"

Whatttttttttttt are you talking about??? The Nikon D600 and the Canon 6D are priced almost identically. Used FF bodies are cheap. The 1Ds II's technical image quality is easily bettered by many newer cameras, but it *is* a nicely-built body. Last year I was seeing 1Ds Mark III (yes, Mark 3) models selling locally for around $1,750 in good shape. Keep in mind the prices on high-end pro stuff at WALK-IN RETAIL stores is vastly, vastly below that seen on-line from the biggest web-based dealers....

Why??? Many local dealers sell high-end pro gear on consignment and take 15 to 22 percent of the sale price for their cut of the sale; they thus can sell a high-end pro item for a lowish price, FAR lower than the big web dealers, who BUY gear from sellers,and who thus have to use actual cash to acquire their used inventory. For a local shop, selling high-0end pro gear on consignment means they get a fantastic % return on ZERO cash outlay for their "inventory".

I can buy a clean, used Nikon D3x here in town for $2,750...on-line, it's a couple THOUSAND dollars more...

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs guys. Decided to stay with the original plan of keeping the D7k and get the other 3 lenses. When I do upgrade to FF, I can still use half of them. Thanks Derrel for the used, consignment market insight. I just got back into photography so don't know all the street prices, or the ins and outs of the best places to get used gears yet.

Cheers!

Thanks for the inputs guys. Decided to stay with the original plan of keeping the D7k and get the other 3 lenses. When I do upgrade to FF, I can still use half of them. Thanks Derrel for the used, consignment market insight. I just got back into photography so don't know all the street prices, or the ins and outs of the best places to get used gears yet.

Cheers!
I think you did the right choice, the D7K with the right lenses can produce outstanding results especially if the operator knows what he is doing (which I guess is something you can say on all cameras).
What lenses are you planning on buying ?

You would be much better off buying some decent lenses for your current body... all you have are DX kit lenses, and some third party stuff. My advice would be to sell what you have and buy either midrange or pro level nikon lenses. You will see more improvement there than anywhere else. That will also prepare you for an eventual FX body if you decided to go there.

Buying 9 year old technology is NOT recommended. Plus you would still need GOOD glass....

Most reactions

Back