Should I get a new body?

172Pilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm new here but have been into photography for three years or so. I have been using a Nikon D40 with the basic 18-55mm and a Nikon 70-300. I enjoy shooting wildlife, architecture, etc. I am considering upgrading to a Nikon D7000 or D90, but I am not sure if it is worth it. If I upgrade, I would like to get a new lens similar to the 18-55 just to shoot general photos with. I would probably also get a 50mm f1.8. I like the price point of the D90 better than the D7000, but if it is worth it I will go up to the D7000. What kind of differences will I notice from the D40 to the D90/7000? Any lens suggestions(especially for everyday general use)? Basically, should I upgrade the body or just the glass? Thanks for the help!

If your getting new lenses anyway i recommend you buy them first and decide then if you need a body

You'll get better high ISO performance, so you'll be able to shoot in darker environments.

You'll also get mirror lockup, auto exposure bracketing, built-in AF motor, more AF points, more dedicated buttons, higher res files, pc cord jack (I think), video, live view, higher fps, etc. These are all things the d40 lacks relative to the bodies you mentioned. The only advantages for the d40 are electronic shutter for ridiculous flash sync speeds (black out the sun!!!) and the ultra compact form factor.

Typically I tell folks that it's time to upgrade when you find that your body is a limiting factor in your photography. However, digital moves so fast that there comes a time when you need to ask yourself if a body will stay with you for as long as it'll still function or do you eventually want to get some cash back out of it. If it's the later, you should probably go ahead and sell your D40 while it's still got some re-sale value.

But if it's still doing everything you need and plan to keep it and use it as a backup or casual-shooting body, keep it.

I think there may be exciting times ahead in the enthusiast/pro-sumer market as the D800-level tech filters down.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I appreciate it. I decided to go ahead and purchase the D7000 since I feel that it is time. Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back