Should I get a new lens or a camera?

gatorwire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had my EOS Digital Rebel for over a year now.

I mainly use the camera for landscaping pictures at night/day and some interior room pictures of houses that I sell.

Here is what I have done....
night.jpg

night2.jpg

I love taking night shots and I would really like to upgrade my lens or just get a new camera.

What would help me the most to get better pictures for landscaping?

I am using the stock lens 18-55mm f3.5-5.6

a better lens or a newer camera?

I agree with Rob.

What would a new camera do you that this one doesn't? A better question would be; do you feel your camera is lacking? If so, How?

A new lens can open up all sorts of possibilities. The 50mm F1.8 is great because it's so inexpensive. It's mostly made of plastic but the optical quality is superb and the big aperture is really a treat.

If you want to get serious with your architectural shots, a tilt-shift lens may be in order. Your first shot shows some serious barrel distortion (vertical lines converging)...a T/S lens will allow you to compensate for that effect. (although Photoshop can also help with that).

Maybe a wider lens would be useful. Wider may be good for including more of a room in a shot...or more of a landscape scene. 18-55 lens is not really all that wide. (18mm on that camera being comparable to 28mm on a film SLR). There are several lenses that go as wide as 10 or 12mm. Check out Sigma & Tamron as well as Canon lenses.

Better lens, as the body (camera) you are using is nice kit, the 50mm F1.8 would be a good idea like Rob said, only £60ish aswell, I going to order one soon.

I'd love to hear what you decide to do.

Most reactions

Back