Should I get another lens?

Dystinct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi W/18-55MM, a bag and 2-2g memory cards. I'm working on getting a tripod and some filters this weekend. Should I look into getting another lens or will this hold me over for some time?

I realize this is a question that has been asked before, I just wanted to say high to everyone.:D

Welcome to the forum.

There really isn't a good answer to that question...not that anyone besides you can answer.
Maybe if you give us some examples of the type of shooting you want to do...we could make some suggestions.
That lens is good lens to start with because it's cheap and it's a 'normal' range on that camera. Use it for a while, then you will have a better idea of what you like to shoot and how that lens works for you.

If you find yourself always using the 18mm end of the lens, and wishing you could go wider...then maybe you need a wider lens. If you find that you use the 55mm end of the lens, then maybe you need a longer lens. If you don't like to use flash and find that you are shooting is low light situations, then maybe you need a lens with a bigger maximum aperture. Maybe you will find that you just want a lens that is similar to that lens but of a better quality. It's up to you.

For filters, I suggest a circular polarizer...I wouldn't bother with anything else just yet.

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure what I want to shoot yet. I have always had a interest in photography but have never had enough money to get started. We just found out that we are having a baby so we decided to get a nice camera to document our life.

So I guess you can say that I will be taking pictures of everything.:lol:

Congrats on the baby :D

Since you will probably be shooting photos of people and quite likely indoors, you might want to think about a hot-shoe flash. The camera does have a built-in flash but it doesn't really make for great photos. A good hot-shoe flash will tilt and swivel and allow you to bounce the light off of walls and ceilings...which will make for much better indoor photos.

Spend some time with what you have. With experience, additional needs may become apparent to you. That's when to expand. Not now. Good luck with the photography.

I have been using my Canon XT with the kit lens for sevral months now. I am almost ready to up grade as well. I have been mainly taking pictures of nature, animals and such. Here are some examples ( not to high jack ) of the lens.
berrybush.jpg

Button.jpg

Hope this will help!

Most reactions

Back