Should I get Canon Speedlite 430EX

prasadadsul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Mates,

Planning to get Canon Speedlite 430EX, but will it be sufficient for my requirement? I need flash for flower, insect, frogs and other natural macro photography, and for it I need a E-TTL flash. Do Canon 430EX will work for my needs or should go for Canon Speedlite 580EX, but I think it will be too high for my requirement and also cost approx 9k more and also I am amateur photographer and not going to earn any from my snaps.

Mates please let me know your suggestions and opinions.

Regards,
Prasad

How much can you spend?

I would save up a little more money and go with this if i were you:
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : Speedlite Flash Lineup don't know much about macro lighting, but that would be my best guess, someone will probably give you some better device tomorrow though.

I have the Canon Speedlite 430EX and think it is great. I don't use it often since I mostly use natural lighting, but when I do use it I am happy with the outcome. I think especially since you are not using it for professional purposes, the 430EX is enough. It is good for close ups and also provides an amazing amount of light for distance shooting considering the size.

I have a couple photos that show a before and after using the flash in a large area but I am new to The Photo Forum and am not sure why it isn't letting me post the pictures?

Overall, I think it is a great flash but I also cannot compare it to the 580EX because I have not used it. Hopefully someone else can give some comments on the 580EX!

I would save up a little more money and go with this if i were you:
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : Speedlite Flash Lineup don't know much about macro lighting, but that would be my best guess, someone will probably give you some better device tomorrow though.

I also agree with MWG that you should look into those Macro flashes if that is primarily what you are going to be using it for.

Yea, i would have said the 430 would be perfect but he wants a macro flash, i dont know enough about macro lighting to give him a reliable answer.

I have the 580EX II and 430EX. The macro lights are a bit more expensive than the 430EX but they're not as versatile.

If you go for the 430EX and place it on-cam, then it won't be much of use in a macro shoot. The flash will be too high up on the cam.

My suggestions:
1. 430EX + sync cord (I think it's OC-E3)
2. save up for the macro lights if you really want to focus on shooting macro.

I too agree with MWG, waiting for some more time and get some flash like Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX will make more sense, Thanks mates for the advice

I have the 580EX II and 430EX. The macro lights are a bit more expensive than the 430EX but they're not as versatile.

If you go for the 430EX and place it on-cam, then it won't be much of use in a macro shoot. The flash will be too high up on the cam.

My suggestions:
1. 430EX + sync cord (I think it's OC-E3)
2. save up for the macro lights if you really want to focus on shooting macro.

The sync cord is a good idea aswell.

And no problem mate.

Hi everyone,

Just joined today and I am sooooo excited.

it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in...
Bz.jpg
Bz.jpg
grey.png
Bz.jpg
Bz.jpg
Bz.jpg
Bz.jpg
Bz.jpg
Bz.jpg
Bz.jpg

The 430 flash has more than enough power to support macro shooting very well, just have a look at LordV's work:
Flickr: Lord V's Photostream
His gear setups for ideas on mounting and diffusing the flash
Equipment and test Pics - a set on Flickr

Pretty much all done with just the 430 flash. I'd also say that for a first flash a 430 or a 580 are far betterfirst time purchases than dedicated macro flashes. Dedicated macro flashes have their place, but they are very much focused toward macro work; this limits them significantly in their possible applications outside of pure macro work. Thus whilst they can deliver good light a good speedlite flash is far better for a first time purchase in flash gear.

You can alost get some cheaper ring flash that works pretty nice,

garyfong is selling one,
vivitar, metz and some other brand name

Most reactions

New Topics

Back