Should i get the Nikon 18-70 or the Nikon 18-55vr2

yioties

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a cheap lens for every day use since my wife destroyed my 18-105. I have a gift card for a local camera shop here in toronto and it covers either lens and with money left over.

Both lenses are used

I have the 18-70mm, its f/3.5 -4.5 so a bit faster than the 18-55mm, but no VR. From 18-24 it is just a tiny bit of movement in the zoom ring. It also has the focus scale window and the manual focus ring actually is pretty good.

Mine is a 10 year old lens and I did have the known problem of the one loose screw in the zoom mechanism, it took about 30 minutes to open the lens and tighten the screw. That was a couple years ago and lens is working fine. If the lens jams at a point in the zoom movement then this is the fix that is needed.

I see you also have the 70-300mm VR, which I have, and both these lenses use the 67mm filter thread. The lens also has a metal mount and the rear gasket just like on the 70-300mm VR and both of these have the same build quality and so I would recommend the 18-70mm.

f/3.5 at 18mm
f/3.8 at 24mm
f/4.2 at 35mm
f/4.5 at 50mm to 70mm

Last edited:
cool man an thanks

Of the two, the 18-70 is VASTLY superior. it was, IMO, the best kit lens released in the digital era, and I used my until the point where it was so worn, the lens would fall open if held on even a slight angle. It's very sharp, has excellent colour rendition and flare resistance (esp. for a kit lens), a metal mount... no contest in my mind. True it doesn't have VR, but why you would want it on a lens with that short a focal length, I have no idea.

I suggest the 18-70 as well. Its faster and longer. Better build quality, metal mount with seal. My cousin lucked out and found a new one sealed in box for $30 on craigslist. I was a bit skeptical at first but she did it anyways and it was legit..brand new. Still had that new lens smell. She has D3300 and been using the 18-55 VR..but she really really likes the 18-70 more. You don't have VR, so for video it may not be ideal..but long as your shutter speed is fast enough you don't need VR anyways.

I'm going tonight to pick up an 18-70 for $100 canadian

Most reactions

New Topics

Back