Should I get the Nikon D60?

Thanks, TamiyaGuy!
Actually, I got SUPER lucky that evening. It was getting ready to storm, so it was cloudy, with a weird colored sky, causing some really decent outside lighting. Actually, those are from a series of shots. I basically caught him playing with the rope and just kept shooting until he was done. But about 95% of the shots from that series came out sharp like that.

Do I always get that lucky? Oh no. hahahaha. I am also often a victim of seeing the awesome shot on the LCD, only to realize that it's a blurry, noisy piece of crap once I get it on the computer.:lmao:

But once in a while I get in good lighting and I can adjust my settings right and get some really nice shots. I'd love to print out ALL of those shots (well, the complete series of shots I took) and frame them all. Or at least print them and put them into a book.
I know that there are places that I could have cropped, and things that were cut-off in the pic, that should not have been, but I was overall happy with them.

Jillinebinny,
if you're moving back home, why not wait to use your in-laws' camera and see if you actually like the shots you get from it?

I could be wrong, but I think the differences between Canon and Nikon are less than what people make them out to be. I think no matter which camera you get you'll be exceptionally happy with it! :)

Best of luck, and remember to check back in once you start shooting! :)

Jillinebinny,
if you're moving back home, why not wait to use your in-laws' camera and see if you actually like the shots you get from it?

Well we won't be moving back home for at least a year (my husband graduates with his BA in May). The next time we are going home is in July so i can play around with her's i guess :p but she's also got a different one than the one i'm looking into getting.

I don't know, it's all so frustrating. I almost just want someone to make the decision for me :p hehe, just get me the camera and i'll use it, how bout that :D I think i'll be doing a lot of research the rest of this month to decide what i really want. I would love to get a camera soon so i can be out practicing and learning before we get busy starting a family and such :) we'll just see i guess :)

I too am now having the Canon/Nikon debate. I guess you're looking at the XTi now, but there will be a new one released soon that also fits the same niche as the Nikon D40 (Canon Rebel XS/1000D/Kiss F). It will be released here on June 27, in the US sometime in July. The Canon will be a bit more expensive but the kit lens will have image stabilization, which is something I really wanted in the D40 kit that wasn't available. It's supposed to fall between the XTi and XSi in price and quality. For now I'm waiting impatiently until the XS is released so I can read some reviews from actual users and make a real comparison. This weekend I'm going to try to find a camera store so I can hold the D40 and the XSi (which I guess is very similar to the XS) and see which has the best "feel" in my hands.

I don't know, it's all so frustrating. I almost just want someone to make the decision for me :p hehe, just get me the camera and i'll use it, how bout that :D I think i'll be doing a lot of research the rest of this month to decide what i really want. I would love to get a camera soon so i can be out practicing and learning before we get busy starting a family and such :) we'll just see i guess :)

I feel the same way sometimes. I hate making decisions, I'm always afraid of making the wrong one. But as I said before, I have a feeling you'll get one or the other, and you'll never look back.

Well, at Ritz you would get the two lens kit, bag and dvds for $799, EXCEPT the 55-200 lens is not the VR model, only the 18-55 has VR. So, for the upgrade in lens ($150) and a one gig card, I think it is a great deal.

I recently purchased the D40 kit and added the 55-200 VR lens, Tamrac backpack, Speedlight (clearance-WooHoo!) and memory (2 gig, but not SDHC), for $800. Considering the D60 body is $200 more that the D40, I don't think you have much to lose. Even if you went with a D40 elsewhere (unless Costco has a superb deal on that), I don't think you would save much money after adding a VR lens. Now, without VR, a D40 kit is $599. Clear as mud?!

I feel the same way sometimes. I hate making decisions, I'm always afraid of making the wrong one. But as I said before, I have a feeling you'll get one or the other, and you'll never look back.

Oh i'm sure that's how it's gonna be :) I just always have to really really really think things through before i buy stuff. I mean, i do this even when i'm just buying a pair of shoes, or some sunglasses :p oh well :)

Oh i'm sure that's how it's gonna be :) I just always have to really really really think things through before i buy stuff. I mean, i do this even when i'm just buying a pair of shoes, or some sunglasses :p oh well :)

At least its nice to know there are others out there like me. :)

Make sure and post back with your results! :)

Well, if you're going to think it through, might as well consider all of your options. Canon and Nikon are far from the only camera companies out there making cameras in your price range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back