Should I help my friend take my business?

mojo74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is more of a moral dilemma, but I honestly dont know what to do. My friend had decided that she wants to go professional and is asking me all sorts of business and tech questions. Though I want to help my friend, shes doing the exact same thing as I am, in a city that is already very saturated.
Am I selfish? I feel like I have paid a lot of dues, had internships, a degree and have joined all sorts of networking clubs to get my name out there, and she's just wanting to jump on my coat tails. I cant stop her obviously, but I really dont know how to keep this from hurting our friendship.
Any advice?

I have a friend who is doing the same thing. Granted we're both doing it part time, but we both want to do the same type of photography. I welcome it because you can set yourself apart from someone based on your unique traits. Also, if your friend ever is too busy or can't meet someone's time requirements, they can refer you and vice versa. It can be valuable if you keep the friendship close.

Nobody likes greedy people, you scratch their back, they'll scratch yours.

Help out your friend, if you don't and if you're negative towards them, they'll see you as selfish, and one wrong will wipe out 3 rights in business.

Friends are "friends" regardless of biz relationship or what not.

Sounds like she is only asking questions. "Real" friend should not even consider the "competition" factor.

Just my opinion.

This could be a good chance to partner up. Im not sure what type of photography you are doing but a second shooter may have some benefits. Or not you just have to sit down and wiegh out the postive and negative impacts it would bring. I have a friend that I was in the same boat, so I still help him out and I even send business his way I dont want to do and he does the same.

Here's a question: Did you ask questions of anyone established in the business as you were starting out?

I fail to see why not. Tell her you'd love to have her working with you and then make some sort of partnership agreement that means that you cover for each other if possible when one or the other is unavailable. Make a loose cooperative arrangement. It'll help both of you.

Generally you should have a professional reltionship with your competition anyway. When icome to wedding photography (I don't know what type you are doing) you want to be able to have people yo pass weddings off to that you can't do on any given weekend and hopefully the reverse will hapen for you. Besides you are only one person you cannot possibly handle all of the photo jobs in one particular area.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back