should I keep my gift?

jbjeep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a canon EOS 50D with EFS 18-135mm lense. My husband bought me a Canon EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lense for Christmas. I have no other lenses. Should I keep it or trade it in for a nifty fifty or other lense to compliment my 18-135? I'm wondering if only getting to 300 mm is really worth it...I've been pretty happy with the 18-135 range Thanks.

What do you think you NEED in a lens? The 70-300 is a lot more zoom than you currently have.
If you could name one thing that your current lens doesn't do for you, what would it be ?

I shoot with Nikon gear and my 70-300 lens is my "Go-To" lens. I probably use it more than all my other lenses combined. How and what I shoot may differ from you but that one is by far my favorite lens because the focal length covers just about anything I want.

Have you ever thought while using the 18-135 that your needed extra range? If the answer is yes then I'd suggest you explore your new lens.

Another vote here for giving it a try. It's a good solid lens optically and the IS works really well, at least three stops improvement, maybe a bit more at times. As far as "only getting to 300 mm, you'd have to convince me that you really needed more on a 50D body. Unless you're doing wildlife at a great distance, or trying to get close-ups of sports from the stands, 300 mm will do quite a lot for you. The only Canon zoom that goes further is the 100-400 which is much more expensive and much bigger and heavier. Give it a try and see if it is useful before you sell it. Don't want to make the husband feel bad, do you?

keep the 70-300 it's very handy, I have the 70-200 and wish sometimes it has a longer range, you can get the 50mm 1.8 its very affordable at only $100, but you already have a 50mm in your 18-135mm the only difference in the 50mm has a lower depth of field, is that why you want the 50?

Yes, I was looking for the f/1.2 or 1/4 with the 50 mm.... I guess there is always Christmas next year for other accessories.... I will give the 70-300 a whirl.... Thank you for your comments

Use them both! See what works for you for what you shoot. I found the 18-135 a great all-around lens for my 30D and only wanted wider, or longer, or faster, a handful of times. But then, I don't do sports venues, airplane shows or mountain scenery where 300mm would be useful. You may just find that the 70-300 'fits' your situation better than the 18-135.

As I have found out, and countless others before me have, it's only from shooting with what you have to work with that 'reveals' what you will need/want for future photographic efforts. :>)

i would get the 50 1.8 its only $100 and if you still feel like you need a shallower depth of field get one later, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the F1.8 I know i was.

I'm in love with my 50mm 1.8! Its all I shoot with!! Totally recomend that lense as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back