Should I sell my Tokina 100/2.8 Macro?

Bluckii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have done a few shoots with this lens (engagements, bands, children, etc) and the pictures come out FANTASTIC but I always feel like I am walking backwards to get everything in the picture.

Is there a lens you can recommend where I don't have to change the lens in order to get a wide angle picture but still be able to take beautiful close-ups that this lens takes?

We live on one income so in order to get a new lens I will need to sell my Tokina, would you recommend that I keep the Tokina and just keep switching back and forth between my kit lens or would you suggest that I sell this lens to purchase one that is more versatile?

Thank you very much for your input.

100mm is a telephoto.... it gets long on your Canon cropped body. You can go to a shorter telephoto without going into a wide angle lens which often doesn't work well for portraits. As a journalistic approach to even photography, a wide angle does work well but you'll probably still need a short telephoto for those portraitures.

A common lenses that you can try would either be the 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8. Both of which are well known for their good optics and a reasonable price... some will even say near "L" quality. I can vouch for both personally.

Before selling the Tokina which you said works well, try getting a 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.8 (which ever you can afford) to supplement. You might be surprised. The 50mm f/1.8 is under $100... not up to par with the f/1.4 sibling but an excellent lens.

Thank you for your reply I will look into those lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back