Should I stick with Olympus?

IDLaxStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my uncle bought me my Olympus E-410 dslr a couple years back. Its was great and all for the first two years that I had it. Then my parents bought me a 70-300mm f/5.6 zoom lens for our cruise to Alaska. Then that keep me entertained. But this camera just can't do everything I want it to now. I want to get into sports photography and this thing can't give me good pictures once the sun starts to go down. I also want to get into macro photography too. So I was thinking about buying a macro lens. But then I thought about it and maybe I should stop buying Olympus stuff. Because I know I can upgrade to a better Olympus camera but would it just be better in the long run to buy a middle of the road Cannon or Nikon body. Because I don't want to keep buying Olympus equipment if I will be switching over to Cannon or Nikon later. What are your guys opinions.

It really depends on whether or not you think some day you want to upgrade to a "professional" level camera.

Bodies come and go but lens are the real investment. Right now you're shooting with an older low end consumer camera and Standard Grade lenses.

I've got a pretty good selection of Zuiko lens and about eight months ago had to decide whether to sell and move to a Nikon D300. I decided to purchase the E-30 ($1000) and just recently purchased a used E-3 ($650).

I'm happy with my decision...

YMMV.

BTW > I have two E-510 bodies for sale :)

Cheers, Don

Do you get good results with your E-30? Is the E-30 better then the average Nikon or Cannon Body?

Oh boy, you need to do some research :)

Both companies make dslr models ranging from consumer up to pro level. Meaning from ~$500 to ~$8000.

Course you can also consider a Leica @ $27,000 or a Hasselblad @ $42,000 <roar>

When you're deciding what brand to buy you should at least compare models on the same PRICE level.

Under "Buying Guide" at Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ you can compare models side by each :)

But that's only part of the research, look at the LENSES. That's more important than a body.

As for results, you tell me. Click on my gallery under my avatar. Most of the images where shot with the E-510 which cost ~$600 two and a half years ago. The lenses used are all High Grade.

Cheers, Don

Well I have looked at prices and specs. I was just wanting some insight on in the long run should i switch over to nikon or cannon or will a top of the line olympus do everything i need it to?

Short answer, Yes :)

Generally speaking, any of the top brands in the same price range using lenses in the same price range will produce similar results.

Depending on who's pushing the buttons :)

As to whether or not to "stick" with Olympus, right now you haven't got anything keeping you back. You'd be lucky to get $100 for your body and the 70-300, which is a great standard grade lens, is selling used for a little over $200.

Again, how much do you want to spend ?

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
The advantages to switching systems is often nominal... The real advantage comes with glass.

You should do your research from the aspect of which glass out there (any brand) will enable you to shoot what you want. At that time, you can decide which system best supports that glass.

Do realize that sports photography is probably the most demanding type of photography on equipment. You'll definitely need money to support fast telephotos. It doesn't matter which system you use.

Also realize that what is important for Macro photos is often less the glass and more the lighting. I'm pretty positive that Olympus makes macro lenses for their systems.

For sports I would recommend a used E-3, going for $6-750 used.

A 50-200mm f2.8/3.5 used for ~$800. The ec20, a 2x teleconvertor is ~$500 but you lose two stops of light.

The next level is going to hurt, the 90-250mm f2.8 for $6000. Or the 300mm f2.8 for $7000.

Cheers, Don

Also for sports you are going to want to consider the "reach" of the lenses.

Olympus has a crop factor of two meaning a 200mm lens has the effective field of view of 400mm.

Nikon and Canon have 1.5 and 1.6 crop factors.

Last edited:
Note to buyer: 1/3 of your budget on the body, 2/3 on glass. 80% of what you want to do, is in the importance of your glass, whereas only 20% lies in your body. Obviously, I agree with Don Kondra, bodies come and go, and glass is the investment.

If you want middle of the raod, and something for action,...I have the perfect camera for you. A Nikon D2h, in great condition.

Ok, so if i buy a olympus body in the same price range as a nikon or cannon i will be getting the same quality. But like you guys said lens are really what matters. So does olympus have all the same quality of lens also, and are they the same price or more or less? Also Sagemark how much for the 2dh

90-250mm f2.8 for $6000. Or the 300mm f2.8 for $7000.

There is no reason a 90-250 f/2.8 should cost 6 grand. I bet Nikon or Canon's 70-200 f/2.8's are just as sharp and they're a "steal" for $2,400.

I don't care if it's the equiv. of a 500 f/2.8, that's just ludicrous.

My advice is to first sit down and write out clearly where you find shortfalls in your current setup - both lenses, camera bodies/features, external features (flashes etc..).

Then take a good look at the market for Olympus for products that will help you solve those limits - so macro lenses, sports lenses etc.. Look both at the low and high tier options so that you know the spread, quality and prices at all levels.

Then do the same for Canon, Nikon and any other company you might consider. Again compare the top and lower level products on offer.

The idea of this is to in the end have an idea of which company best supports your interests in a gear based approach only - whilst also taking into account the prices of your setup. It might be (as an example this is not fact) that Canon or Nikon might have similar priced and featured pro options, but that at the lower levels closer to you budgets they have more than Olympus - or it could be the total opposite.

This will take some time to complete, but the time spent is worth it in choosing the right long term company to go with as changing gear once you have $/£1000s invested is never easy nor cheap.

The advantages to switching systems is often nominal... The real advantage comes with glass.

+1

This is why Canon rocks!

EF 400mm f/2.8 IS II USM

/Flex

Most reactions

Back