Should I take back the Canon and get

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok please don't get mad I am listening to you guys and am thankful for the advice in my DOF thread.
The problem in brief is that we have a gift certificate only for $300 to Staples as we had a camera from then 1.5 years ago on extended warrenty they couldn't fix.
We have no extra money right now and even if we did the Canada Staples doesnt' have a huge range of cameras anyway. We need a camera asap. we have been waiting for 3 weeks for the gift certificate and we have young children easter etc..
So I grabbed the Canon A610 having looked at reviews.
There was also the Kodak Z740 it has a slightly larger sensor.

I really do like the Canon except obviously I was hoping to do some shallow DOF with it which unless I am on top of the subject seems I am already at a road block..(Still have my 35mm rebel at least)

So my question is here is a review for the Kodak do you think it will be any better with the wide lense and the slightly larger sensor.
Or do I need to stop whining it's still only a p&s and it will be no better with the shallow DOF than the Cannon..
Which I can still play with some more and see if I can get anything to work..

Thankyou again for all your advice in the previous thread I found that getting super close really does work for some nice shallow DOF. I havn't had any luck with the background and subject being further away from it but I can work on that today.
Edited to add the Kodak is now slightly cheaper than the Canon unlike the review I think it costs more $349 and $379 for the Canon.

Links
Kodak
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakz740/

Canon
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082202canona610a620.asp

I've looked at the side by side comparison http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...byside&cameras=canon_a610,kodak_z740&show=all

It looks to me like the Canon has the slightly bigger sensor 1/1.8 (Kodak is 1/2.5). The Kodak has more zoom but that might also mean that the lens is not as good, quality wise.

The biggest difference is that the Canon is a compact and the Kodak is "SLR-Like". What's the difference? As far as I can tell, the layout is a bit different, with SLR-like usually having a bigger lens.

IMHO, they are both just point & shoot digi-cams. They are alright for a lot of people...but you have a real camera in your EOS...and digi-cams just won't compare.

You could always blur out the background with Photoshop....

I just got Photoshop on loan I will have a look into how to do the blurring.
I read that the Kodak does not have image stabalization which makes the 10x Zoom hard to use without a tripod. Also the macro setting is not as good for real close ups which the Canon is really good for.
Thanks again for your advice.
I was very frustrated yesterday until I got the replies to my thread.
Now I will except it for what it is. :) I had a lot of fun with the color manipulation mode that it has.

Ya, I forgot to mention that the close-up specs on the Canon are much better. Minimum focus distance of 1cm vs 12cm for the Kodak.

P&S digi-cams certainly are a different animal than film cameras...especially an SLR (or something bigger). However, they do have their uses...as long as you know their limitations. Another good thing about the Canon, is that it will fit into a pocket. I've got a great DSLR but there are plenty of shots I miss simply because I don't or can't carry it everywhere with me.

Have fun with your new camera.

Buy a printer or something else from staples and order a decent camera from the states.

I'm in toronto, and if you shell out 550USD for the rebel and 20 for shipping you'll have yourself a world class camera that will last you 5 years easily.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=359145&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Anything you get for 300 from staples camera-wise is going to be "poop"

Shallow depth of field will be easily achieved with the 300D.

Good luck

My roommate just bought the a610 for a few bucks over $200 at Abe's. I'd expect some difference in price, but not $150+. I'm surpised staples is this much higher than the net. [edit: I just looked and the MSRP of the a610 is $300, so I'm wondering if you're looking at a620 for $379 and not the a610??].

IMO the a610 and a620 are one of - if not the best p&s digis in that price range. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

- Damian

damian5000 said:
My roommate just bought the a610 for a few bucks over $200 at Abe's. I'd expect some difference in price, but not $150+. I'm surpised staples is this much higher than the net. [edit: I just looked and the MSRP of the a610 is $300, so I'm wondering if you're looking at a620 for $379 and not the a610??].

IMO the a610 and a620 are one of - if not the best p&s digis in that price range. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

- Damian

He's spending Canadian dollars ;)

Closer to .87 last I checked...not that that's very much. But that, along with the typical Canadian mark up and Staples typical high prices...would account for the price difference that Damien is seeing.

You know... in the end it doesn't really matter.

They all take snapshots. All of them print at least OK quality 8*10 inches. You point and press a button - the cam takes a picture of the little easter bunny...

Buy whatever is smaller or feels better in the hand/pocket IMO.

PS: props on screwing staples! :D

HaHa Doc,
My dh bought me a HP camera for xmas 2004 it was HORRIBLE, but he thought it was great and I didnt' want to hurt his feelings.
Then it broke kinda.. Yippee, and thankfully they didnt' give us another one!
Although the guy was all for selling us a 7.1 MP HP and my dh was listening ARGHHHH! Because it had a HUGE LCD display and we REALLY need those 7.1MP for our 4x6 photo album. :x

Anyway yes I feel pretty good about it too.. :lol:

Big Mike I found a great tutorial for blurring my own background with the lasoo feature in PS thankyou for pointing me in that direction it works great but i'm going to keep trying to see what I can do manually it's part of the fun now I know i'm not the problem. :)

I've had one of those 1.1 and 2.1 mp HP cameras... utter poop

But it was a long time ago. I think they played catch up quite nicely and now doing better than most of traditional camera companies... canon excluded of course.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back