Should I trade 2 for 1?

AnthonyRyanPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently own a Tamron 28-75 2.8, along with a 70-200 F 2.8. I am considering selling both and dropping a few hundred on a 24-70L. I currently shoot with a 550D

My 28-75 is incredibly soft at 2.8, but sharpens up at F4. Kind of annoying, the build quality is amazingly cheap as well.

My 70-200 is a great lens imo, but I rarely use it. I don't shoot too many weddings, mostly portraits, and I am thinking that I can rent a 70-200 when needed, and eventually buy one.

I also am going to be purchasing a 5D, whatever the newest version is in a year or two.

Would you make the switch or keep the versatility?

In this case, 2 for 1 does NOT sound like a good deal. I think the 24-70/2.8 concept is vastly overrated. Once you have a full-frame d-slr, the 70-200/2.8 will become immensely more valuable and immensely more-useful than it is on a 1.6x body. On FF, the 70-135mm ranges are usable even indoors; on 1.6x, the 70-200 is difficult to deploy indoors, except at looooong distances; with the full angle of view of each lens restored, the 70-200's shorter bottom end becomes usable at distances of only 10-12 feet, whereas with the 1.6x cameras, even 70mm is a "tight" angle of view at 10 to 12 feet. I simply can NOT imagine renting a 70-200 every time I wanted one.

I would have to say that it depends on how much you use the wide end of the 28-75 wide open. If you're constantly wanting to shoot at 28mm at f2.8, then it might be worthwhile, but otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with Derrel.

That's the thing. I shoot mostly portrait work, with the occasional event thrown in, but I do see the benefit to the 70-200 on a FF sensor. Decisions, decisions.

Typically, with portraits, you'll want to shoot with longer focal lengths. I love my 70-200mm as a portrait lens, even on APS-C cameras. Of course, it can be limited indoors, but outdoors it's great.

The prime route is where I am eventually going to go, however for now, while I lack the funds to purchase the desired focal lengths I need that versatility.

Most reactions

Back