Should i upgrade my camera yet?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been using the canon 650d from the day it has been released for my web designe and private use. it is literal with me all the time. I do only have 2 lenses (kit lens) canon EF-S 18.135mm f/3.5-5.6 stm and the canon EF 50mm f/108 Mk II. I have taken lots of photos for me and for clients and i am getting offered to photograph for money.

Now i would like to bring my photography to the next level and one obvious step is getting a better/new lens (next to keeping up with practice) and i have the money ready but now i am considering if i should buy a new body first. (better iso/faster continues shooting/ weather sealed... ) but i can only afford the one or the other for now so will the 650d be enoph with just getting a higher quality lens or will a new body be a better investment? will it make a big difference? My pictures are good but i want to push them further.

i have been looking at the 7d mark 2 and also the 80d.

thanx for any advice.

Is your T4i limiting you in anyway? If your happy with the camera and getting the results you want, then I say buy better glass but if the camera body is hindering you in anyway and making it harder to get the pictures you want, then go for the 80D. Skip the 7D Mk2 unless you plan on doing sports.

If you want to upgrade the body then dont go for crop sensor and jump straight to full frame.
T4i isnt a briliant camera any more but it is still a very good modern camera, if it does the job well then why replace it.
Lens is always a good way to upgrade, I would get a fast zoom lenses like a 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8

Agree, always consider upgrading/investing in good glass. Good glass in front of a cheap body is going to give better results then cheap glass in front of an expensive body.

- Weather sealing - are you shooting in the rain/snow often? Also remember even if you body is weather sealed and you put a cheap lenses on your body is not longer weather sealed
- FPS - do need the option to spray and pray or do you like the sound <-- I like the sound too lol. No really if you learn to predicted movements or anticipate what's going to happen a faster FPS is not always needed
- ISO Performance - Newer bodies are going to have a little better ISO but like goodguy said it is still a crop sensor, if you want to see better ISO numbers you need FF, IMO.

I have been using the canon 650d from the day it has been released for my web designe and private use. it is literal with me all the time. I do only have 2 lenses (kit lens) canon EF-S 18.135mm f/3.5-5.6 stm and the canon EF 50mm f/108 Mk II. I have taken lots of photos for me and for clients and i am getting offered to photograph for money.

Now i would like to bring my photography to the next level and one obvious step is getting a better/new lens (next to keeping up with practice) and i have the money ready but now i am considering if i should buy a new body first. (better iso/faster continues shooting/ weather sealed... ) but i can only afford the one or the other for now so will the 650d be enoph with just getting a higher quality lens or will a new body be a better investment? will it make a big difference? My pictures are good but i want to push them further.

thanx for any advice.

My answer to this would depend a lot on what it is your shooting and the types of shooting conditions you find yourself in most often.

I'm not a canon shooter myself but from what I understand the 80d does have a better sensor than your current sensor, so you should see some improvements in dynamic range as well as better lowlight shooting characteristics. I think probably the biggest difference you'll notice though will most likely be the addition of the second command dial. When I went from my D5200 to my D7100 I had basically the same experience, the camera itself wasn't leaps and bounds better in any single category than what I was already shooting with, but just the addition of the second command dial made the upgrade well worth it. It really does make a tremendous difference in making it far easier to adjust both shutter speed and aperture quickly and easily without accessing any menus.

The 7d MK II might be a better option for you if your shooting sports, wildlife, or action photos quite a bit. Might also be a good choice if your camera is being used a lot in less than ideal environments.

As GG mentioned, Full Frame might also be a possible avenue for upgrade, if you feel you need better low light characteristics for example.

So really a big part of the equation should be, what is it that you think would benefit you and your shooting style the most?

Based on the 2 lenses you say you currently have I would purchase and upgrade to another EF lens before upgrading my camera body (if you plan to go full frame). If you upgrade to a full frame camera you will only have your 50mm lens that would be compatible with the new body.

I am also in the process of slowly upgrading my equipment and am starting with nicer lenses first, I currently have a 20D and 70D for bodies but would like to go full frame in a year or two. I figure if I get the lenses first then I should be set when I eventually upgrade the body to a full frame.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Good photographs come from the eye and the brain. New equipment can help but normally doesn't cause better photographs. If your camera gets the job done, get the new lens. It may help the eye and the brain see things differently.

I remember one day that I went out to shoot stock photos and I carried just a camera body and a full frame fisheye lens. I spent the day shooting things up close and got some great shots. The lens gave me an unusual perspective on subjects I may not have engaged without it.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This response has been brought to you by the camera manufacturers and sellers of the world. The recommended replacement time is on schedule with your underwear, once a week.

thanx for any advice.

if you're going for the "big money" in professional photography then go full frame. Maybe a refurbished 6D at $969

Thank you for all the help. I decided to buy new glass that is compatible with FF so i can save up and upgrade to a FF body later and don't have to replace all my gear . Yea i do allot of shooting in Low light for clients and personally i do allot of landscape and wildlife.

Thanks again

I replace and upgrade when I want to, not just when I have to. It's up to you how to spend your money and time, just be sure you are enjoying life and having as much fun as the law allows.

Thank you for all the help. I decided to buy new glass that is compatible with FF so i can save up and upgrade to a FF body later and don't have to replace all my gear . Yea i do allot of shooting in Low light for clients and personally i do allot of landscape and wildlife.
Just one tip: don't be afraid to buy a good, even expensive APS-C lens if it suits your needs better. For example, if you need a faster standard zoom, do consider the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 even though they are not compatible with full frame cameras, if you want a versatile standard zoom lens that's better for low light shooting. The full frame options you'll see are mostly 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses, that give you a significantly narrower field of view at the wide end, or ultra-wide-angle lenses like a 16-35mm f/2.8 that are bigger and have some other compromises (because they are meant to be ultra-wide-angle lenses). You will be able to resell them later on, if or when you decide an APS-C camera body isn't good enough for you (though I typically doubt that feeling/decision is true and justified).

Most reactions

Back