Should I upgrade my Nikon 50mm 1.8 D for the 50mm 1.4 G? Is the bokeh worth it?

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just in process of looking at new lenses, I am just starting to get into portrait photography. So in the last week I forked out for a 85mm 1.8 for my D90, as I wanted more DOF with headshots and less distortion. This gives me a sweet 135 equivalent!

I'm not a huge fan of my 50 1.8D's bokeh, in other respects I can't fault it. It performed effortlessly when doing my first proper portrait shoot the other week! But I'm wondering if it's worth exchanging it for the 1.4G? Obviously at a cost! My heart keeps leading me to buy the 1.4G, but I'm wondering if I really will notice dramatic differences in bokeh. I know one thing the 1.4G wins at and that is keeping circular bokeh.

Your opinions please on this will be appreciated. I'm also thinking about the continued increases in Lens prices, I don't want to wait a year to find the 1.4G has gone up another £100! So maybe now is my time to cut a Half decent deal on the 1.4G.

Thanks for posing the question...I am in the same situation and am interested to hear the repsonses. I am more interested in low light performance but not sure if there is that much of an improvement to warrant the additional cost.

This does not specifically address your question about the lens but the link goes to a nice, simple article about creating bokeh effect. It may be helpful to some.
Bokeh Effect

Last edited:
i would think the 1.4 is better, not just for bokeh. it allows you to have a bigger aperture when you stop down to get a sharper image than the 1.8. and frankly, it looks better :p

Thanks for the links guys,

You have a point Chaos, the 1.4G is definitely 'Sexier' looking than the 1.8D. haha.

Cream cheese Bokeh and Hollywood Bokeh? I'm assuming you mean the bokeh of the D lenses is messy and the Hollywood Bokeh is top class?

Or am I missing the joke? ;)

So anyone here upgraded to the 1.4g from the 1.8d?? Must be one of you out there!

Apparently you only want Hollywood bokeh, not cream cheese bokeh?

KmH, you are the only person I've ever encountered who uses the terms "Hollywood bokeh" and "cream cheese bokeh". What, exactly, do you mean by Hollywood bokeh? Can you describe and or define that for us, since you've used the term like 20 times here before? And what about this cream cheese bokeh? Is that good on bagels and or waffles, like with raspberry preserves???

The terms I've heard are "Creamy" meaning that it is very smooth with no visible circles, and hard or "rolled condom" referring to bokeh with a distinct, round circle pattern.

Cream chesse bokeh is the more common form of bokeh that you get from just something being out of focus. Hollywood bokeh is when you have highlights that appear as circular spots in the background.

Thank you for clearing that one up guys! haha. my small brain gets it now.

More stunningly I've realised my slow aperture 70-300 VR gives better bokeh than my new 85 1.8D, at the same apertures I'm seeing much better bokeh from the 70-300. I know the 70-300 has 9 rounded aperture blades so not that suprising but this kinda proves to me that 85 1.8d is no Bokeh machine at all. I'm going to sell it and get the 50 1.4G I reckon instead, and look into the Tamron 90 2.8 as my telephoto prime lens.

Thank you for clearing that one up guys! haha. my small brain gets it now.

More stunningly I've realised my slow aperture 70-300 VR gives better bokeh than my new 85 1.8D, at the same apertures I'm seeing much better bokeh from the 70-300. I know the 70-300 has 9 rounded aperture blades so not that suprising but this kinda proves to me that 85 1.8d is no Bokeh machine at all. I'm going to sell it and get the 50 1.4G I reckon instead, and look into the Tamron 90 2.8 as my telephoto prime lens.

This probably has less to do with the 9 aperture blades and more to do with the focal length vs. focusing distance unless you are trying them at the same focal lengths and same focusing distances. If you have a longer focal length and are focus on something pretty close, you are going to have a very out of focus and 'creamy' background.

When I google Nikon Cream machine, it yield 85mm f/1.4
When I search Nikon Cream machine in flickr, it found the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 group.

So maybe sell the 85 1.8 and get the 85 f/1.4 since you like creamy bokeh type photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back