Should I upgrade?

What i don't understand is that it says that you only get 4 shots. My d3200 gets 11 shots in nef before the buffer fills.

There is also a relatively inexpensive 55-300mm Nikon which pairs well with your kit lens. It is supposedly not as good as the 70-300 but gets good enough reviews also. I would consider lenses before body. A Nikon 35 or 50mm f1.8 might be worth looking at in the future to open up your camera to lower light photographs

yeah there is that as well. I also was thinking I don't have the extra money laying around often so since I do now maybe its a good time to get my upgrade rather than waiting until I really feel I need it and don't have the extra cash to do so. I intend to keep my D3000 as a back up if I do. Then the problem is deciding what body exactly I want. Im real weird about those flip out screens, im afraid I will snap it off or something. Its a feature I really just don't want to deal with but it seems like a lot of the bodies have that now. I also don't want to spend a fortune on a body I want the most bang for my buck.

I don't use the articulation on my 5200 much at all. Normally I will leave it closed and I look at the stuff I shoot later when I get home. Sometimes if I'm doing portraits I'll flip it around and leave it in the open position against the camera body so it works just like any other non articulating screen. But normally I just leave it closed.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Well thanks everyone I think I have decided to get both the new D3300 and at least the 70-300mm maybe one other lens I haven't decided yet. I was really torn as to whether I should get the new body or not but I decided it really is quite an upgrade from what I have now even if it is an entry level DSLR. I may even leave it in the box until I feel that I really need more. I appreciate all the articles and reviews you guys shared for me to look at they have been very informative.

Just one more question for now, do you recommend buying used lenses online or would it be a safer bet to buy all new? What I have now I got used but I was able to handle it before handing my money over.

I usually try to buy used lenses. I buy most of them at a local store, but there are some large USA-based web sellers that have GOOD return policies on used lenses. A great example would be KEH.com, which says it is the USA's largest used camera and lens dealer, and they are probably right about that. KEH.com's reputation for taking back unsatisfactory lenses is an exemplary reputation. B&H Photo and Adorama also have used lenses for sale.

Well thanks everyone I think I have decided to get both the new D3300 and at least the 70-300mm maybe one other lens I haven't decided yet. I was really torn as to whether I should get the new body or not but I decided it really is quite an upgrade from what I have now even if it is an entry level DSLR. I may even leave it in the box until I feel that I really need more. I appreciate all the articles and reviews you guys shared for me to look at they have been very informative.

Just one more question for now, do you recommend buying used lenses online or would it be a safer bet to buy all new? What I have now I got used but I was able to handle it before handing my money over.

I actually prefer used lenses over new - I'd rather let someone else pay for the depreciation if I can. I'm just a sweetheart that way.. lol. KEH is a personal favorite source for used lenses, their rating system is unbelievable. Both of the lenses I bought for them were rated in EX or EX+ condition - which is a step below their LN rating (like new) and the only reason I didn't think they were brand new when they arrived was because they weren't shrink wrapped.

You can find them on Adorama and B&H as well, you need to be a little more cautious on Ebay because so much relies on the description. If they don't mention scratches or dust, ring movement, af tests - etc - well then you also need to make sure you ask. I would never buy a lens where the description starts out with "I don't know much about this lens I'm selling it for X (friend/wife/dead relative)" because to me that's Ebay code for "if this thing does have a problem as soon as you buy it, it will become your problem because I'll fall back on that part of the description and claim ignorance".

So I usually check KEH first. As to the second lens, you might want to consider a 50 mm 1.8 AF-S G. Would make a very good companion to a 70-300 mm and they are relatively cheap.

Back in my D90 days, I did the 18-200 VR and 18-300 VR thing and I was sold.
It took years to realize the limitations. I was paying for "zoom range", but that wasn't important for image quality.
Don't get me wrong, they're great lenses. But for more serious work, they can't match a fast prime or f2.8 zoom.

Well thanks everyone I think I have decided to get both the new D3300 and at least the 70-300mm maybe one other lens I haven't decided yet. I was really torn as to whether I should get the new body or not but I decided it really is quite an upgrade from what I have now even if it is an entry level DSLR. I may even leave it in the box until I feel that I really need more. I appreciate all the articles and reviews you guys shared for me to look at they have been very informative. Just one more question for now, do you recommend buying used lenses online or would it be a safer bet to buy all new? What I have now I got used but I was able to handle it before handing my money over.

I have a couple dozen Nikon lenses. When I need flexibility I grab the 70-300 and a prime, usually my f1.4 35mm , but if I was starting out a 50mm. As you learn, you may move towards prime lenses... They are sharper and make you work on composition. A prime makes you move closer... This is really important, you get more detail and feeling of intimacy in the photo. You will learn much faster with a prime... I use primes almost exclusively. So I would recommend that extra lens is a 50mm f1.4. It will teach you about primes, and fast lenses, and you'll morn ably keep and use it the rest of your life.

If you want a body with best bang for its buck in a lowish price range the Nikon 5200.

Tamron has a 18 - 270mm over here for only 1/3 of the price of the Nikon version and from what I have seen from friends who has it the images are really nice, Not as nice as the images taken with the 70-300 version but still pretty nice. There is also the new Tamron 16-300mm that I have not seen any images of but have heard its a very nice lens and it gives you that extra 2mm on the wide angle side. Its prices over here half price compared to Nikon version.
Maybe I am being a little biased over the Tamron vs Nikon lenses as I own the Tamron 70 - 300 and 90mm Macro and have been extremely pleased by them, they may have a plastic feel to them but its a very strong plastic other than that cant fault them.

I usually try to buy used lenses. I buy most of them at a local store, but there are some large USA-based web sellers that have GOOD return policies on used lenses. A great example would be KEH.com, which says it is the USA's largest used camera and lens dealer, and they are probably right about that. KEH.com's reputation for taking back unsatisfactory lenses is an exemplary reputation. B&H Photo and Adorama also have used lenses for sale.

I have a handy little document that a customer forwarded to me some years ago, which gives tips on choosing used lenses. I'm happy to forward it on to anyone who drops me an email: [email protected].

BTW, all used lenses from Adorama, rated D, E+, E or E- come with a 6-month warranty - which includes a 30-day returns period, for exchange or refund.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

You could sell your Company N Brand and get a CANON.

Now that's a upgrade !:D

That seems like a down grade too me......

I think that for $250 or less a Nikon 55-200 DX would fit your current needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back