Should I upgrade?

Blurry454

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been shooting with Nikon d5200, would it be worth the upgrade to the 7100/7200 just to have the built in motor and more lens compatibility?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

As well as more AF points, paired with a stronger AF module; the ability to have autofocus with the entire line of AF and AF-D Nikkor lenses is a big advantage of the 7100 or 7200 over the 3000- and 5000-series Nikons. There are quite a few useful lenses in AF and AF-D that are available at good prices.

I just upgraded from the 5000 to the 7200. I say do it.

The control system and abilities of the body out class that of the 5000 series. So many things at your fingertips that are in menus on the 5200. I have had my 7200 for a few months now and I am still learning/getting used to the control changes. What I have learned makes it so much easier to change things on the fly that it makes the whole process faster and easier.

Last edited:
Absolutely do it.

Even if it’s just for the dual control wheels.. it’s totally worth it.

The D7200 has the highest sensor ratings out of all the Nikon crop sensor cameras on DXO. It also has faster shutter than d5200, slightly higher frames per second rate, better weather sealing, better veiw finder magnification, better viewfinder coverage, better rear monitor (but doesn't articulate out), and as mentioned better AF system, and can use the AF and AF-D lenses. Some of which are still made new today!

So, yes the D7200 would be an upgrade. And open up more lens choices with full AF.

Except for the flip screen, the smaller size and the lesser weight the D5x00 line has no advantage over a D7100 or D7200 or even worse D500.

You get a huge list of advantages, like:
- higher tier of autofocus and metering (both very substantial improvements in everyday useage)
- a lot more control elements on the camera including dual control dial for quick operation with very little menu useage
- full flash support including high sync speed (fill flash in bright sunlight, very important for portrait photography)
- dual card slots for backup or overflow
- lossless 14 bit recording
- weathersealing

Do it! I suggest a d7200.

I currently own a D7100, very happy with it, but at high iso is not so great. I would definitely go for the d7200!

Having moved from a 5100 to a 7100, I can confirm that this is a significant upgrade. AF, ergonomics/controls, viewfinder, IQ, ISO performance, SD slots - I feel that all of these were improved with the upgrade.

I would go to a shop and try out the D7200 and while you are there the D500 too. I have the D500 from day one and she still impresses me every day although I have the D850 too. In my book the D500 is the best bang for the buck by a significant margin. Maybe even the best camera I ever used. Find a black Friday deal on her and you will surely not regret it. What a wonderful piece of hardware!

I have been shooting with Nikon d5200, would it be worth the upgrade to the 7100/7200 just to have the built in motor and more lens compatibility?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
It would certainly make sense if you have lenses incompatible with your camera or plan to buy some. Otherwise it would only make sense if the camera you have won't do something that a new one will.

If you're willing/able to hold off at least till Black Friday, I'd start researching the D7200. Hard to find a Nikon DSLR that hits the price/quality/versatility sweet spot more squarely. They will likely be widely on sale throughout the holiday season. The D500 isn't that much more camera(if at all)for a lot more $$$. Stone cold solid value.

Most reactions

Back