Should "Just for Fun" be renamed?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a thought but we seem to be getting a growing number of people who are somewhat lost where to post photo threads when they only want commentary not critique, and not more than a few often post in the wrong section but say "Well just for fun just seemed a bit too light/childish/silly/not serious" etc...

In short I think, whilst the description is sound, the title of the subsection is giving the wrong impression and somehow making the section (and thus what is posted in it) a devalued air compared to the rest of the site.

So should we consider renaming it and - if so - just what should it be called?

I see your point, but I honestly wouldn't know what else to call it. Pretty much every forum I've seen has had a 'just for fun' section ... so it seems pretty standard to me...

While I agree that this type of gallery is a good compliment to the remainder, the name does evoke a "less than" mindset. A few of the other sites I visit have a catch-all gallery with titles like "Other Genres", "All Other Styles, Types", "Other Cool Shots", etc.

Thanks for being pro-active Overread, on this and several other items of late.

Seems to me you have way too much time to waste being a moderator on several forums and worrying about trivial stuff.

Go out and shoot!

Hmmmm; most fun stuff I name or title : "The Walkabout" , Walkabout today" etc.
as this is what one shooter from Ausralia used to title the daily walks, know we are on this side of the pond but found it fitting. A daily walk with a camera is what most of us like to do.
-
Shoot well, Joe

I wouldn't sweat that title too much. :) It IS meant for your more casual images, maybe something you shot off the cuff, something cute, casual, meant to give a smile, nothing more. In no way is it meant to indicate de-valued worked....it is meant only in the spirit of the title: Just for Fun!

If you worked hard on an image, or feel it's noteworthy for any reason, then by all means select another Gallery.

While I agree that this type of gallery is a good compliment to the remainder, the name does evoke a "less than" mindset. A few of the other sites I visit have a catch-all gallery with titles like "Other Genres", "All Other Styles, Types", "Other Cool Shots", etc.

Thanks for being pro-active Overread, on this and several other items of late.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the 'less than' mindset of the 'just for fun' gallery. In fact, I always thought that was the whole point.

"Other Genres" still sounds like a regular gallery (intended for critique) to me - just one that doesn't fit into the other categories.

"Just for Fun", to me, means - 'here's a cool picture I took, but I don't want critique on it - just thought you might like it'. I.e., anything you feel that people might like to see (or you just want to share), but don't necessarily want C&C'd to death. Sometimes it's fun to share a snapshot you took... No real thought behind it, just 'hey look at this!'.

Agree 100% with last two posters.

Most reactions

Back