Shrimp Boats and Fog

pixeldawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love boats. I love watching them and I love shooting them. Last year at Thanksgiving, we went down to my in-laws for "the meal". They live on Dolphin Island near Mobile, Alabama. About 30 minutes from them is Bayou La Batre, made famous in the movie "Forrest Gump". I decided to take a ride over and look at the shrimp boats. I also had a camera that I was testing for POP PHOTO, so took it as well, thinking I could get some interesting test shots.

I shot this frame with a Nikon D200 and a 70-200 F2.8 VR lens. I like the softness that the fog adds and the placement of the red boat as well. Hope you enjoy looking!

Yes. I am enjoying this one.
Just not that bit of rock or whatever that brownish thing is ... it was there, and I can appreciate the fact that when it was there you want to leave it within your frame. But somehow I wish it hadn't been there...
And I think I might have been to Dolphin Island before?
When we travelled from Houston/TX to Fort Lauderdale/FL by car in February/March of 1995, we hardly touched Alabama as we took the "island route". That one must have taken me to Dolphin Island, too, I think??? (But I no longer remember, all I do remember is that we did see dolphins in the water, which was my one and only time to see them in their natural habitat, ever).

I love this shot!!!!!!!! I also love shooting shrimp boats, i've got a bunch of shots of them on my website too. You've composed this one perfectly, and you're right, the fog adds a perfect touch, and to me even brings out the color and reflections. These boats make the perfect subjects.

If you were on Interstate 10, you more than likely drove by the exit for Dolphin Island. It's about 30 miles off the beaten path and the only way to get there is on a small, two lane road. I thought about cloning out the little section of land, but it would be difficult to make the water reflections look authentic.

I appreciate your taking the time to look at my images. I've got several others and will post some more in the next week or two.

FYI, in case you try to search the island on google, it is "Dauphin" Island, and you can get there by going through where this shot was taken, just keep heading south. There are plenty of dolphins around Dauphin Island. I live on the MS Gulf Coast and I see them every time I go out i my boat or waverunner. I love 'em!

Thanks for the correction, Pug! Where are you in Mississippi? I know the chief photographer for the Biloxi paper.

Great photo. I wish I had stuff like shrimp boats around. Much more interesting than plain old new pleasure boats.

Most reactions

Back