Shutter Life Expectancy Database

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I just found a site that I thought was kinda cool, I hope you do too. It basically have a bunch of cameras and have people from the internet record their shutter actuations. I don't know how you can confirm the record but I guess people would be honest. Here it is:
http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sitemap.php

seems like a few spammers on there making numbers up.
1,000,000?
1?
lol.

1,000,000 is believable even though rare. I heard there were a decent amount of F5 that was getting that kind of shutter life. But yeah, it's the internet.

Yea, I think a lot of fiction. The D1, D1H, D1X, and D100 have no count recorded in EXIF, or anywhere I know of. But numbers are recorded for each of those cameras. I have wore out shutters on both a D1H and a D1X. It took many hours of looking through my archives to determine a rough estimat of actuations of those two cameras. One million is a lot for a camera rated at 150,000.

It does tell you a lot when the average number of actuations still alive for the D50 is more than the average number till death.

It does tell you a lot when the average number of actuations still alive for the D50 is more than the average number till death.

Yeah, I saw that, but for the sake of argument, you notice that out of 226 post, only a handful (around 10) are failures so maybe those camera just have a bad life??? That and think about who would ended at that site, people who curious like myself or people who might be mad about the shutter is breaking down or whatever the case is. What I'm saying is this is not exactly a random sample. People might be attract to something like this due to a particular reason. According to that D50 page, your D50 should reasonably get at least 40,000 shots which doesn't sound too off does it?

Don't mind me, I just like to argue:D.

How can you find out how many have been taken?

It should be in your EXIF data the easiest way to find it is to upload to flickr

can you get a dSLR rebuilt after the shutter dies? It just seems absurd to me that you pay so much $$$ for a camera to only last several years - especially for someone who takes pictures all the time like myself.

Yes, you can get the shutter replaced if it goes bad. It'll probably be 100-200 bucks, but worth it compared to buying a new camera. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I know people with 10D's who take a ridiculous amount of pictures and their 10D's still work fine.

can you get a dSLR rebuilt after the shutter dies? It just seems absurd to me that you pay so much $$$ for a camera to only last several years - especially for someone who takes pictures all the time like myself.

No it seems absurd that something that is designed to insane precisions, with tiny tiny mechanics and electronics, and very fast operating speeds can be expected to last more than several years. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back