shutter release cables

Unfortunately, they got us with our digital cams! At least on my 30D, I can't use a mechanical release. On the other hand, I found a cheap electronic one on e-bay for about $15 which has worked fine for about a year now (the Canon OEM version is alot more money).

Unfortunately, they got us with our digital cams! At least on my 30D, I can't use a mechanical release. On the other hand, I found a cheap electronic one on e-bay for about $15 which has worked fine for about a year now (the Canon OEM version is alot more money).
electronic meaning wireless?

electronic meaning wireless?

No -- not wireless ... it's just an electronic switch on a wire instead of the mechanical thing you posted.

which brand did u get?

My D100 was able to use the same release I used to use for my old AE1. I loved that. I'm ticked that they stopped allowing that.

I bought one of the cheap-o $15 ones and it lasted for about 3 months. I've heard other people say they have had them last a long time. I cannot risk not having mine work, so I bought one of the mid-level Nikon ones. Not that it's a guarantee, but I'd hope it would last longer than 3 months.

I miss using the old cable releases.

Me too ... and I don't think it would have been that hard for them to have threaded the shutter release button ...

I picked up the Timer Release Cable for my Canon, and I love it. There's just so much you can do.

Bloody expensive though. I think I paid close to £100.

You can certainly get plain old shutter cables for next to nothing though, if you're okay with going 3rd-party.

Not wanting to hijack this thread at all, but is there any massive advantage to using a shutter release cable rather than a remote-control apart from the fact that a cable is pretty much guaranteed to take a photo when you press the button? From my point of view, I just can't justify the extra £100-odd to get one over the Nikon remote.

Anyway, pretty much the only ones you can get are between £90 and £160 if you go home-brand, about £15-20 if you go 3rd party, although these are notoriously badly made.

Not wanting to hijack this thread at all, but is there any massive advantage to using a shutter release cable rather than a remote-control apart from the fact that a cable is pretty much guaranteed to take a photo when you press the button?.

Well, if I had a wireless remote-control, I probably wouldn't use the one on the wire, but the wireless one is alot of money :)

I actually hadn't been able to figure out what the specific need for a wireless one was, aside from maybe studio work where you need to manipulate the subject a bit and don't want to be constantly walking back and forth from camera to subject.

All the times I've used the shutter release, I've wanted to be near my camera... just not smacking the button on it. :)

I'm sure I just haven't hit the right set of circumstances yet.

I got a Phottix from Hong Kong for my D300. Works like a charm so far. $50 including shipping. I do believe they make units for many different cameras.

Check out my thread here.

Well wireless is good if you want to be in the photo (without a cable accidentally appearing in shot as well).
But also its a way of taking a shot without being present at the time - useful in wildlife many a time if your subject is a little skittish around people - you can use a wireless to set the camera in a position which is obvious to see whilst you hide in the hide and then remotly triggor the camera - some also use lasers to setup laser trips!

however most of the time its a luxury

Most reactions

New Topics

Back